Helpppp. Dead (?) 06 impreza

injulen

It really doesn't make any financial sense to spend thousands of dollars for a brand new engine on a 13 year old car that is nothing special and only worth a couple thousand itself
Not that it matters much but it's an 06 so not quite 13 years old.

05RSKID

stinks you couldn't have brocken down in the orono area i would put in for you for cheap.  and car-part.com has a few that are around $1000 if you search in new england. 

Not that it matters much but it's an 06 so not quite 13 years old.
 My bad I looked over there <--- and it says 02 outback. I really should pay attention  to the thread title huh?

Still 9 year old car to me isn't worth putting thousands into a brand new engine.

Visonik

When I was looking around, I was having all sorts or trouble finding a decent shortblock. I called all the junk yards i could get a number to. That's why I ended up going the dealership route. well, that, and it was under warranty. I'm not sure what motor you have now, but i replaced my 2.0 block with a 2.2, and those were going for around $400 used, but nobody had one in stock. I'd call around and see what you can find. I might be able to find my list of places I tried before and give you their numbers, if you'd like.

injulen

When I was looking around, I was having all sorts or trouble finding a decent shortblock. I called all the junk yards i could get a number to. That's why I ended up going the dealership route. well, that, and it was under warranty. I'm not sure what motor you have now, but i replaced my 2.0 block with a 2.2, and those were going for around $400 used, but nobody had one in stock. I'd call around and see what you can find. I might be able to find my list of places I tried before and give you their numbers, if you'd like.
Just curious, what condition would you expect a decent 400 dollar ej22 to be in? Would it need any work?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Just curious, what condition would you expect a decent 400 dollar ej22 to be in? Would it need any work?
Always a good idea to do the timing belt and associated stuff. And check for any leaking seals or gaskets before installing a motor.

Visonik

From what I was told and understand, if you find an older one with okay miles, it would be around $400. Obviously the less miles, the more expensive it will be. 2.2 blocks are in high demand because they don't self destruct like the older 2.5's, so a lot of people are replacing the 2.5 with the 2.2. So, I was told one with less miles than my car, 171,xxx at the time, would be in the $400 dollar range. But at least it'd run.

injulen

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry to derail your thread a little bit Abby
default_tongue.png

I am mostly curious because I have a '95 EJ22 with dual port heads that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with yet. 200,000+ miles, leaking oil from somewhere, probably the cam seal but it still runs great. Always wondered what I could get if I sold it but wasn't even sure of a ballpark figure.

abigailfisk76

Bumping this. I need to find an engine thT no further than New Hampshire and is around 100k miles and costs $1k. Ready, set, GO

skipow

what motor is it? ej25? search new england subarus, granite state subarus, NESIC chapter, most all of them have private classifieds.

JoshP

How much oil was in it when that happened?  I bought a car like that but it only had about 1 quart of oil in it.  Maybe the pick up tube failed. 

It might be possible for the block to fit, but even that is iffy for an N/A 2.5 of that year. And that ad is wrong any way. 95-98ish were a phase 1, and a 98ish-99 is phase 2. Those 98ish years, depended on what they came in, and whether it was early or later in the year.
Phase 1 is 90-98 for the 2.2 in the legacy and Impreza. Phase 2 2.2 is 99-01 impreza and 99 legacy.

Either way this is not an engine that would work in an 06 Impreza.

You could use the shortblock, but 750 for an old 2.2 is a no thanks. 
In a car that spun a bearing and blew a hole in the block? Doubt it. Chances are extremely slim the heads are any good from either getting hit with a piston or more likely full of bearing debris.

Latest posts

Back