How old to drive?

topdeeni

Yep Rugged...

Im hindsite the vast majority of people i know who ended up dead or in a wheelchairs because of automobiles or cycles usually did while still under the drinking age...

I am sure if I had access to an STi or EVO when I was a teenager I may B dead....no wonder my friends older brother would never let me drive his 1972 Olds 442 with the W30 455 amd stone crusher tranny.

C-Rolla

Parts Pimp
I disagree. My first vehicles were an 88 Ranger, and a 79 CJ5. When I turned 19, I had an AE86, a TSiAWD, and my GST. The corolla was slow, but did burnouts everywhere, the other two were not slow at all. I don't feel like the parents should be paying for an Sti, I paid for all of my cars on my own, but I also don't feel like anyone should be decideding whats too young. Whose to say this young man hasn't gone to Oneils. Maybe he's been driving carts his whole life. I've never been in an accident while I was driving. And I've done my share of stupid ****.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I disagree. My first vehicles were an 88 Ranger, and a 79 CJ5. When I turned 19, I had an AE86, a TSiAWD, and my GST. The corolla was slow, but did burnouts everywhere, the other two were not slow at all. I don't feel like the parents should be paying for an Sti, I paid for all of my cars on my own, but I also don't feel like anyone should be decideding whats too young. Whose to say this young man hasn't gone to Oneils. Maybe he's been driving carts his whole life. I've never been in an accident while I was driving. And I've done my share of stupid ****.
Those 2 right there, if some 17yo has a good enough job that he can afford an STi without his parent's help, then he is probably responsible enough to handle the car.

topdeeni

+ millions for those two posts...

good call... If U can afford to purchase a STi on UR own U have already demonstrated a huge amount of discipline/responsibility.

Take a look at the "present fail" thread... U think that kid would have had a snowballs chance in hell with a real car? After his reaction I totally understand Y his parents bought him a ****box... he is in no way ready for anything more than what he got...I Call him Tardicus maximus

ps: my daughter is a great example of immaturity in this aspect.....Her mom used my child supoort to lease her a car even before her license exam...she has a brand new Imprezza. She has been driving around their huge driveway and cut a turn to tight, caught the right front on the bucket of a backhoe...BANG Case & point right there....

I told the X to get her the same 1972 LeSabre I had for my first car... nice big land yacht to gently carress everything with...hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler

Just a reminder ... wzrd said he was going to invite them to the forum ... that means they'll be able to read all of your "spoiled brat" posts. Maybe we should polish this thread up a bit?
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Kristof

Banned
but you also have to think 295hp is a lot but if that's what a kid starts with he wont know any different. now if you get him a 10 hp honda then he gets an evo yes he is gonna kill himself because he has no idea how to handle a car like that. but if you have the money to shell out for a car like that and you teach him how to drive in that car and let him drive it with his permit while you are in it that will help.

lets not forget you can easil get a nice tune for the car not letting him get over 4500 rpm

ruggedman

but you also have to think 295hp is a lot but if that's what a kid starts with he wont know any different. now if you get him a 10 hp honda then he gets an evo yes he is gonna kill himself
See i kind of think the reverse. Learn to drive something easy and work your way up. F1 drivers dont start with F1 cars. When you go to O'Neil you drive a beater golf not $250,000 open class subaru. Physics applies to all pieces of automotive machinery regardless of how much it costs or how fast it is.

I would applaud anyone that brings their kids to auto-x to learn a little bit about how their car handles. It also might give them a respect for the fact that there's a time and place for shananigans.

LostinMaine

8/26/85 - 5/23/10
i think that all people getting there licance should have some sort of practice in acident avoidence, and understanding what a car will do if you push it past its limit, auto-x is a great tool for this and i recomend it for everyone especialy young people. Also courses like the BMWCCA and Tire Rack Teen Drivers course are also a great tool that parents can use to help their children be safe drivers. I dont agree with a 17yr old getting a car with so much HP, but look at all the 17yr olds that build up monster Hondas that dont have the breaks and suspension to handle the power.

In Short cars kill people, HP makes it faster, to limit factors activities to improve driving skills are good, and auto-x is fun way to do that

bigsxy

look i was 18 when i bought mine and have had it for a year no tickets not even pulled over for foolin around, if plate lights are bad im guilty. it all depends on the person.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Agree with the "depends on the teen" aspect of this question. Still it's kinda skeery to imagine a teen let loose with a rocket like that. No diffrent I spoze than a Camaro, Mustan GT, Hemi Challenger, M3 etc etc.

however, I am somewhat familiar with a certain 'teen' who is more like 55 y.o., and I KNOW it would not be a good idea to buy him an STI!

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
i think that all people getting there licance should have some sort of practice in acident avoidence, and understanding what a car will do if you push it past its limit, auto-x is a great tool for this and i recomend it for everyone especialy young people. Also courses like the BMWCCA and Tire Rack Teen Drivers course are also a great tool that parents can use to help their children be safe drivers. I dont agree with a 17yr old getting a car with so much HP, but look at all the 17yr olds that build up monster Hondas that dont have the breaks and suspension to handle the power.
In Short cars kill people, HP makes it faster, to limit factors activities to improve driving skills are good, and auto-x is fun way to do that
NO cars do not kill people. That`s like saying guns kill people.

People kill people whether it be by accident or malice. Infact inatention kills more people than speed. Most people need driving expierence and common sense before handling a perforamance car. Cell phones have caused more deaths than drunk driving.

topdeeni

or a certain middle age guy who still drives like a teen on occasion..

<-------------------------------------takes a giant step forward...

I think we are pretty much in agreement here... this is a case by case basis for everyone regardless of age. The younger folk here who are arguing for the "yute of America" having excessive horsies all seem to carry a common thread here... It loox like U all worked for, saved, purchased and maintain Ur cars on Ur own making U in turn have respect for the vehicle and what it takes to keep it going.

I know where I used to work at Toyota the owners son used to Destroy cars on a regular basis, they used to tow their remains to the back lot of dealership. He was a very good driver, went to all the driving schools but had one huge weakness: He has EVERYTHING handed to him on a silver platter, works for nothing and never has.. Yeah he has a job at daddys chain of dealerships but it is squishy, he spends most of his time angling for new cars to destroy and staring at the 55" plasma on his office wall. I am sure of he got the bill for tearing the bottom out of an M5 after running it into a ditch he would have a different attittude..

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
havadit. nothing wrong but the cost.

an interesting point of view (no doubt a pessimistic matured one) is gathering an opinion 10 years from now from a noob who started off with an sti, and stuck with the genre.

I started off with v8s and stayed with it until the late 90s. not quite normal grandma cars either..and oh, I have got some opinions.

remembering 17 was insurance. crazy cost.

The sube bewilders me, the whole company continues to ignore thier greatest acheivements. if long term owners is something it listens to, a suby owner in maine with one could master one. (as with a lot of underacheived cars and a label)

nhmtns

What I hate is when people think they can "afford" an STI (or any fairly expensive car) even though their bills are paid for by their parents. Until you're paying your way through life (rent/mortgage, utilities, food, insurance, medical expenses, etc...), you should be living within your means. Sure, it might suck driving a $5000 car, but guess what, that's called reality.

inski

gonna crash it.
Teenagers often think they are invincible and know everything. That's a bad mix with an STI.
100 tickets
I crashed, spun, spun in the middle of the road on my way to CCD (catholic teen thing), got ticketed many times, all with my brother's Subaru Brat and Mom's Pontiac 6000 and Dad's F-250. My childhood was rough, I made it rough for myself and all around me. I was kicked off my parents insurance, then kicked off my own insurance.

...Now my son is asking to try out my rex[i dont think so chucky:D].And wants to get his own subaru.Ahh inski what have you done to the local youth;)....
Its not my fault! My son drives a slow wrinkly noisy Forester. You're the one with a modded-out shiny blue WRX.
default_eek.gif
We don't have much control of what those other kids do in their Subarus other than getting them involved with us (MS and 'the scene'). However, we do have a lot of control of our kids. Let your son drive the WRX. Teach him to drive the standard trans in the WRX. He will be grateful. If he wants he can go to a rallycross with me or an autocross. YOU can Learn him the ways, the correct ways to have fun....on course, paid entry fee, trophies at stake. Buzz bombing on the street is the wrong way. Going to the drags with Pops is the right way. I've told my son anytime he wants to drag race we'll go...to Oxford, or Epping. Anytime he wants to rally-x or auto-x we will go to the SCCA event or CMC event. After two rally-xs my son now knows a little about left foot braking, getting it whoa-ed up before turns, understeer, oversteer, gas as much as you want/dare on the straights, mowing cones is ok, all that good stuff. Killing people and wrecking cars is not good stuff. Stay involved and let him have a taste. My youngest boy just got his permit. I just taught him to drive a standard in my semi-souped up Impreza. Once he had the jist of it we went for a spin in his beater (97 OBS), him driving, he hated it. Then I drove his car and showed him what it is capable of to the best of my ability, then he loved it again. Constantly remind them there is always someone better, faster, more capable, and they will have more fun learning once they get into actually doing it.

I let my son drive Joel's car. He was scared to hang in the boost very long. Its unnatural. Car control is learned. Speed control is learned. A never ending school. Don't let your kids go to the School of Hard Knocks.

You cant run if you haven't learned to walk.

PS: In the Lake Region High School student handbook it says the kids are allowed to start their own clubs. A teacher will be appointed to supervise activities and meetings. I think theres enough of them to start a club now. If any of them are serious about putting it together maybe EG can sponsor them and we could do support. Like the Outing Club, you dont necessarily have to go on outings, just have an interest in it. You dont have to have a Subaru in the Subaru Club, just an interest in Subarus.

wzrd

Its not my fault! My son drives a slow wrinkly noisy Forester. You're the one with a modded-out shiny blue WRX.
default_frown.gif

We don't have much control of what those other kids do in their Subarus other than getting them involved with us (MS and 'the scene'). However, we do have a lot of control of our kids. Let your son drive the WRX. Teach him to drive the standard trans in the WRX. He will be grateful. If he wants he can go to a rallycross with me or an autocross. YOU can Learn him the ways, the correct ways to have fun....on course, paid entry fee, trophies at stake. Buzz bombing on the street is the wrong way. Going to the drags with Pops is the right way. I've told my son anytime he wants to drag race we'll go...to Oxford, or Epping. Anytime he wants to rally-x or auto-x we will go to the SCCA event or CMC event. After two rally-xs my son now knows a little about left foot braking, getting it whoa-ed up before turns, understeer, oversteer, gas as much as you want/dare on the straights, mowing cones is ok, all that good stuff. Killing people and wrecking cars is not good stuff. Stay involved and let him have a taste. My youngest boy just got his permit. I just taught him to drive a standard in my semi-souped up Impreza. Once he had the jist of it we went for a spin in his beater (97 OBS), him driving, he hated it. Then I drove his car and showed him what it is capable of to the best of my ability, then he loved it again. Constantly remind them there is always someone better, faster, more capable, and they will have more fun learning once they get into actually doing it.

I let my son drive Joel's car. He was scared to hang in the boost very long. Its unnatural. Car control is learned. Speed control is learned. A never ending school. Don't let your kids go to the School of Hard Knocks.

You cant run if you haven't learned to walk.

PS: In the Lake Region High School student handbook it says the kids are allowed to start their own clubs. A teacher will be appointed to supervise activities and meetings. I think theres enough of them to start a club now. If any of them are serious about putting it together maybe EG can sponsor them and we could do support. Like the Outing Club, you dont necessarily have to go on outings, just have an interest in it. You dont have to have a Subaru in the Subaru Club, just an interest in Subarus.
Great points mr inski.Ill bring up the idea of a club with the boys.There does seem to be a lot a local interest in subaru's,with the younger crowd and keeping them /us safe on the roads is A#1 priority.....As for my car...I dont be thinking im gonna burn up my clutch so my boy can learn stick on a modded rex.:DThat s what old chevy trucks are for,as others have said,when you earn it ,you will respect it more....I had to wait till i was 40ish before i could afford or be responsible with performance cars .We had just as much fun learning to drive beaters on the old camp roads or a farmers feild,never mind a parking lot on a snowy nite.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I got my first car a 95 audi 90s when I was 17 and it almost made it to my 18th birthday. I drove that car like an asshat. German made v6's designed for the autobahn can be dangerous for a kid. My parents didnt really help anything either because after I totaled that my mom helped me get a 03 gti. Which has been my favorite car so far.

Then I moved out of my parents and got my own place which meant driving a saturn for a year. I seriously became depresed driving that car 2 hours to/from work everyday. So when I moved back this way and got a decent job I bought my first sti. Then my second sti after beating the first one senseless, which was also my first new car.

After all this I have finnally calmed down and think I can acctually manage to drive safetly from point a to b in my car.

If I had an sti when I was 17 it wouldnt have made a difference in the world. If I survived I think it would have only gave me more respect for automobiles.

Latest posts

Back