Jesse's Bugeye

Visonik

Car's coming along nicely, best of luck with all the new parts installed.
Thanks man. most of the major components in this engine are going to be brand new or at least wicked clean. The heads that are getting put in have 130,000 miles but they're pretty mint. I'm super stoked to get it back.

Nice wheels I almost bought a set of those last year and that sucks about the injectors
Yeah it does. I'm pretty unimpressed about that. It's disappointing to say the least.

Visonik

I finally got my car back! I'm beyond excited to have it back. It's a tease though, I have to avoid boost until I get the tune updated on Wednesday. I also have to get 1000 miles on it before then so the brandy new block will be all nice and broken in.

Here's what Mike did:

Brand new, 0 mile 2.2 short block

Gates timing belt/water pump

new clutch (courtesy of Quirk)

new oil pan

newer-than-mine heads that are mint

new gaskets and seals all over the place

rolled the rear fenders

and put in a used but working alternator.

This car should be good to go for a looooong while.

Visonik

Started on some body work on Monday. Just some basic stuff. There was one spot of rust that was cut out and then a lot, and I mean a lot of little tiny dents. So we got all that bondo'd and primed, so I'll be having some nice green primer spots on my car for a little while. Here's some pictures of that stuff (I'm not sure why they're sideways):

This is where the worst of the dents were. This fender was kinda beat up.

25hkgty.jpg

This quarter had the rotted rust. Cut it out and welded a patch in. Then tiger hair and bondo.

2ducw9x.jpg

These were small dents. the trunk, hood, roof, and other side look very similar to this.

21mhlzc.jpg

After all that, I took the car down to Kinetic to get tuned so I can actually drive it right. They did some work to it before the dyno. Replaced a ball joint, the coolant cover, fixed some leaks in the bottom of the intercooler intake, and changed the oil for the last part of the break in. The after the tune was all set, it showed I'm making 213awhp and max torque at 235 at the wheels. He said his dyno reads low so it's actually at 230awhp. I'm super happy about how the tune came out. It's a blast to drive now.

fbe49z.jpg

This picture lets you see just how ugly she is for the time being haha

mmfqkk.jpg

Visonik

Body's all finished! Hopefully I'll be able to get a few pictures up tomorrow. It's no longer PSM. I ordered 1974 Chrysler Silver Frost Metallic, but I'm thinking there was a mix up because what I got doesn't look right. I still like the color, though. It's pretty much a little lighter PSM with a blue tint to it. I'm very happy with how it all came out.

Visonik

She's all roadworthy now that the clear coat has had a day and a half to harden up! As you can see in the pictures, we went a head and debadged the trunk and painted the side skirts while we were painting. The mirrors are plastidipped black. I think it looks good with all the black trim around the windows. Everything came out very smooth. It has the right shape to it for the first time since I got it haha. My uncle didn't like the tinted tail lights so he went a head and took that off and buffed them and the headlights. I like the look of the red against this color anyways, which is good since I plastidipped my new rims red. Now I just need some tires. I also took off the wheel spacers since I won't be able to use them with the new rims anyways. Selling those to a buddy so it evens out for me from having Mike roll the fenders.

I've taken to calling this color Primer Gray Metallic, since I don't know the actual name..

wvx4rq.jpg

4j537q.jpg

95sp68.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Visonik

That looks great! red wheels will look awesome
Looks awesome!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys! I'm super pumped. It actually looks a whole lot better in person than it does in the pictures.

Here's a preview of what the red rims will look like once I have money for tires.

1jkgw3.jpg

I think I need to get some glossifier for the dip and it will look better. I won't be sure until I get them on the car for the summer though.

Visonik

Getting tires for the new rims on Friday! Getting some 245/40/R17's for them. Pictures will be up like right away haha.

Matt

That looks great. I'm going to do my winter wheels some crazy color like this. Let me know how the glossifier works. I may do it to my hood.

Visonik

That looks great. I'm going to do my winter wheels some crazy color like this. Let me know how the glossifier works. I may do it to my good.
I haven't gotten the glossifier yet, but I plan to before there are a bunch of miles on the wheels so I don't have to redo the dip at the same time. Hopefully I can get it done next week before I go down to New Hampshire for the summer.

Visonik

Got my tires!

Old vs. New

33usu52.jpg

b61xu8.jpg

Again, I'm not sure why the pictures are sideways... they were right side up when I uploaded them..

2wnmj37.jpg

I'm super pumped about how it looks. The dip will probably peel away soon, though. Friggin Town Fair made gouges in the dip, which I expected around the edges a little, but on the worse wheel, its almost in the middle of the wheel... So no glossifier now, since I'll have to redo the whole thing later.

My girlfriend is very much against the red and said she's not going to ride in it anymore... I told her that's fine but that means she can't drive it anymore either. She seems to regret saying that haha.

Visonik

I peeled the plastidip off yesterday. Where the dip ripped was getting worse so it came off before it flew off on the road..

Who needs lowering springs when you have saggy butt?

ouv791.jpg

343or3d.jpg

I'm contemplating if I should dip the trunk black like Matt did to his wrx or if I should just leave the shiny new paint..

Matt

That's the best part of dip. If you don't like it peel it off.

Visonik

That's the best part of dip. If you don't like it peel it off.
Yeah that's why I tested the red with that first, just in case. It was a pain in the ass to peel in all the little nooks though. It's a good thing my girlfriend has dainty hands haha.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
could also wrap it in vinyl, which is almost or just as addicting as dip once you get the hang of it

I did my center console in 3m gloss black vinyl. I love how it looks

Latest posts

Back