Need Summer Tire suggestions...Please

ruggedman

was just about to post up that this is the size i think i am settling on haha.. way ahead of me!
I'll either get those or the new RE-11 come next time i have to make a tire choice...but with the price on the dunlops it makes the B-stones hard to justify!

ryan13

245/40 is quite a bit taller than stock... if you care.
well I'm lowered a bit so hopefully I won't rub too bad. I figured with the 40 series and the 245 I will still be decently wide and not tooo tall

ruggedman

well I'm lowered a bit so hopefully I won't rub too bad. I figured with the 40 series and the 245 I will still be decently wide and not tooo tall
You have the RCE yellows right? I have the RCE blacks and the direzzas in 235/40s. We can compare ride height if you want and clearances and you can probably get a good idea if they'll fit ahead of time.
default_biggrin.png

ryan13

You have the RCE yellows right? I have the RCE blacks and the direzzas in 235/40s. We can compare ride height if you want and clearances and you can probably get a good idea if they'll fit ahead of time.
default_biggrin.png
you free today?

ryan13

anyone have anything to say about the

Azenis RT-615?

meaning how well do they hold up mileage wise?

I know they are not the best all season but is it def a strict drag/auto-x tire or is it okay for everyday road use?

The guy said i can get 4 mounted, balanced and aligned for $500

-----Added 4/30/2009 at 11:52:57-----

nevermind on the RT's... seem like amazing performance tire but more track rather than street. Most reviews are saying they only last about 12000 +/- miles...

killer deal but not worth it if it only lasts 1 season

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
anyone have anything to say about the Azenis RT-615?

meaning how well do they hold up mileage wise?

I know they are not the best all season but is it def a strict drag/auto-x tire or is it okay for everyday road use?

The guy said i can get 4 mounted, balanced and aligned for $500

-----Added 4/30/2009 at 11:52:57-----

nevermind on the RT's... seem like amazing performance tire but more track rather than street. Most reviews are saying they only last about 12000 +/- miles...

killer deal but not worth it if it only lasts 1 season
it is a good summer tire only. as soon as it gets cold again (days consistantly under 40F) gotta swap 'em out.

they will cup when run on the road, so they will get louder as they get older. Grip is great though.

it is typically an AutoX tire, and you can get away with a track day on them (but don't expect them to last with that abuse)

I have them.. well the older version on the Miata. I ran them all summer for the last couple. and garaged in the winter.

how many miles do you do in a summer?

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I think im going to keep the stockers this season just because im short on cash. Im deffinetly going with the star specs but what size is the best for street/auto x?

ryan13

how many miles do you do in a summer?
I probably do about 1500+- a month and if the tires are on for 8 months (april through november?) that comes out to 12000. I won't be autoxin so i guess that would buy me a little bit more time.

Still seems like the direzzas are a better all around tire

-----Added 4/30/2009 at 12:17:38-----

I think im going to keep the stockers this season just because im short on cash. Im deffinetly going with the star specs but what size is the best for street/auto x?
seems like 245-255 is pretty common

ruggedman

you free today?

Yeah just washing the car and cleaning the interior. I have the day off. I live in Windham, but I'll be heading into portland in a couple hours. PM me...we'll set something up.

-----Added 4/30/2009 at 12:50:45-----

I probably do about 1500+- a month and if the tires are on for 8 months (april through november?) that comes out to 12000. I won't be autoxin so i guess that would buy me a little bit more time.
Still seems like the direzzas are a better all around tire
I've had both and the Dunlops are a significantly better tire. You'll get at least two 12,000 mile summers out of them if you have a good alignment done (0 toe and like -1.5 to -2.0 camber front and -1.5 rear). Maybe even more!

-----Added 4/30/2009 at 12:54:47-----

On the street width matters because it'll decrease your mileage. If you dont drive that much go as wide as you want.

For auto-x, really your car is so damn modded you don't apply to any of the street tire classes. For all those mods you've got you'd need a huge r-comp or bias bly race tire to match what you've done elsewhere.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
yea im not looking to be competive in my class just want to have some fun. Im trying to pick between 245's or 235's in 45 or 40 on the stock bbs's. I drive a lot on the street.

Trevor723

Taller tires are going to make your speedo read lower than actual speed (will also record less than actual mileage
default_additional_sillylol.gif
), and will lower your effective final drive. This isn't necessarily a bad thing with the low gearing in the 6 speed, but something to think about for WRX guys. In particular 06-07 which is already a shamefully low 3.70 stock.

svxsti

Current test results for autox tires (dry Traction only):

1. Kumho Ecsta XS

2. Bridgestone RE-11

3. Bridgestone RE-01R

4. Toyo R1R

5. Dunlop Z1 Star Spec

6. Falken RT-615

AD08, NT05, RS3, and 595RS-R were not tested because size wasn't available.

-----Added 5/2/2009 at 12:05:14-----

yea im not looking to be competive in my class just want to have some fun. Im trying to pick between 245's or 235's in 45 or 40 on the stock bbs's. I drive a lot on the street.
More sidewall and higher load rating are better on the street, because these soft compound tires aren't designed for harsh impacts. Already 2 of my Michelin PS2s have bubbles in the sidewalls from suspension joints on bridges. A bubble means the tire is junk because the belts have separated and only the rubber is holding the air at the bubble. More sidewall and higher load ratings will also protect your wheels from needing to get straightened.

It costs me $135 to straighten a wheel at http://www.rimandwheelworks.com

As I said before, 245/45R17 XL99 is probably the ideal size for the street. As the sidewall gets smaller the load rating gets lower. that's why the Nissan GT-R uses truck and Bentley sized 255/40R20s.

TheNailman

Warcock
Current test results for autox tires (dry Traction only):1. Kumho Ecsta XS

2. Bridgestone RE-11

3. Bridgestone RE-01R

4. Toyo R1R

5. Dunlop Z1 Star Spec

6. Falken RT-615
where did you get those test results?

tirerack has

1. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec

2. Bridgestone RE-01R

3. Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07

4. Kumho Ecsta XS

5. BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD

just throwing that out there

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
What do you guys think I could get for a set of re070's with about 1 season left? 3 are still good 1 is pretty beat(bad allingment)

svxsti

where did you get those test results?
tirerack has

1. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec (see above for GRM rankings)

2. Bridgestone RE-01R

3. Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07

4. Kumho Ecsta XS

5. BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD

just throwing that out there
GRM= Grassroots Motorsports The Hardcore Sports Car Magazine

....and Tirerack ranks their tires by customer surveys, not their actual test results, so it's not accurate, for instance the BFG g-force Super Sport A/S has faster lap times than the RS2 but you would never know by their rankings and the Michelin PE2 is classified as a UHP tire bust is faster in the wet than the best extreme and max performance summer tires. The new P Zero isn't even ranked. Tirerack is only useful if you look at their "actual test results" and compare them.

Just spent a couple hours ranking the wet skidpad and braking results(so driver error is minimal) for Extreme, Max, UHP, and UHP A/S to get the actual standings and found some surprising stand outs for those of you that like to drive fast in the rain:

1. Pirelli P Zero (new model)

2. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric

3. Dunlop Z1

4. Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval wow!

5. BFG KDW2

6. Goodyear GSD3

7. BFG SS A/S

8. Bridgestone RE760

9. Yokohama S4 (consumerreports.org tested the Falken 912 and Nitto Neogen better)

10. Micheline Exalto PE2

11. BFG KDW

12. Fuzion ZRi

13. Yokohama S Drive

14. Goodyear Eagle GT A/S

Combined dry skidpad and braking rankings:

1. Dunlop Z1

2. P Zero (new)

3. AD07

4. KDW2

5. KD

6. RE760

7. Kumho MX

8. RE-01R

9. Goodyear F1 Asym'

10. Avon M500

11. Contisport3

12. Michelin PE2

13. HTRZ III

14. S Drive

15. ES100

16. Goodyear F1 A/S (best winter A/S tested)

17. BFG SS A/S

18. RE960

19. Yoko S4

20. Hankook RS2

out of 41 tires! Call it a labor donation lol. As you can see, some tires are not in both lists, but the ones that are you can combine the ranking and the lower the number the better. My pick for bang for the buck in 235/40R18 XL is the Bridgestone RE760, looks good too.

For those of you that want to see the actual numbers start here

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?perfType=

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back