Need Summer Tire suggestions...Please

stiXXX

I love my Falken Azenis RT-615s.

Simply great tires, wet & dry- and the 245/40/18s were only $150 each, last year.

ryan13

GRM= Grassroots Motorsports The Hardcore Sports Car Magazine
....and Tirerack ranks their tires by customer surveys, not their actual test results, so it's not accurate, for instance the BFG g-force Super Sport A/S has faster lap times than the RS2 but you would never know by their rankings and the Michelin PE2 is classified as a UHP tire bust is faster in the wet than the best extreme and max performance summer tires. The new P Zero isn't even ranked. Tirerack is only useful if you look at their "actual test results" and compare them.

Just spent a couple hours ranking the wet skidpad and braking results(so driver error is minimal) for Extreme, Max, UHP, and UHP A/S to get the actual standings and found some surprising stand outs for those of you that like to drive fast in the rain:

1. Pirelli P Zero (new model)

2. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric

3. Dunlop Z1

4. Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval wow!

5. BFG KDW2

6. Goodyear GSD3

7. BFG SS A/S

8. Bridgestone RE760

9. Yokohama S4 (consumerreports.org tested the Falken 912 and Nitto Neogen better)

10. Micheline Exalto PE2

11. BFG KDW

12. Fuzion ZRi

13. Yokohama S Drive

14. Goodyear Eagle GT A/S

Combined dry skidpad and braking rankings:

1. Dunlop Z1

2. P Zero (new)

3. AD07

4. KDW2

5. KD

6. RE760

7. Kumho MX

8. RE-01R

9. Goodyear F1 Asym'

10. Avon M500

11. Contisport3

12. Michelin PE2

13. HTRZ III

14. S Drive

15. ES100

16. Goodyear F1 A/S (best winter A/S tested)

17. BFG SS A/S

18. RE960

19. Yoko S4

20. Hankook RS2

out of 41 tires! Call it a labor donation lol. As you can see, some tires are not in both lists, but the ones that are you can combine the ranking and the lower the number the better. My pick for bang for the buck in 235/40R18 is the Bridgestone RE760, looks good too.

For those of you that want to see the actual numbers start here

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?perfType=

wow... dedication! nice write up

ruggedman

I was told some time ago when I spoke with Luke at tire rack that tests are not comparable from test to test. I'd think skidpad would be skidpad...and all be comparible, but again, i'm just going on what an expert at tire rack told me.

ryan13

ended up with 235/40R18 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons tires (70%+ tread left) just because I got them with gold 18x8 tarmac 3's for $350 and I needed to get off the snow tires ASAP.
default_tongue.png
pretty good deal imo even though its not what I wanted...

ruggedman

ended up with 235/40R18 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons tires (70%+ tread left) just because I got them with gold 18x8 tarmac 3's for $350 and I needed to get off the snow tires ASAP.
default_tongue.png
pretty good deal imo even though its not what I wanted...
Yar! Good deal. P6's are aweful, they came stock on my old focus, but that sort of coin for that package....how can you complain!
default_biggrin.png
:D

svxsti

350 for 4 18x8 tarmac 3's is a good deal in itself...my .02 since i paid RETAIL
I have phone numbers from craigslist for 235/40ZR18 XL Pirelli P Zero Rossos for $125 each or toyo proxes 4 for $100 each. They're suppose to be my road hazard program but members here can have at'em before someone else buys them.

PS My KMC Chrome wheels were only $240 with a new tire.

-----Added 5/5/2009 at 04:23:59-----

I was told some time ago when I spoke with Luke at tire rack that tests are not comparable from test to test. I'd think skidpad would be skidpad...and all be comparible, but again, i'm just going on what an expert at tire rack told me.
This is true for lap times, that's why I didn't use them. Temperature and humidity have less an impact in a straight line and a circle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreadpiratepikle

I've been going through the same process; I've been driving around with my snow tires on since I got back 2 weeks ago. Finally decided on 17x7.5 Kazera KZ-J ADCs, with 225/45ZR-17 Star Specs. Too bad they are supposed to get here a day AFTER the meet this month....
default_eek.gif

I got them off Tirerack, so they will be mounted and balanced. I can't wait to put them on and get my beat up stock wheels into the garage!

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
What do you guys think of toyo proxes 4's? I can get a brand new set of either 235/45/17 or 245/45/17 for a really good deal.

svxsti

What do you guys think of toyo proxes 4's? I can get a brand new set of either 235/45/17 or 245/45/17 for a really good deal.
I have only seen one test by consumerreports.org and they were at the bottom and the Ziex and Neogen were at the top. I have one on my car because it was free with the wheels and the only good thing is they look good and are XL rated.

svxsti

where did you get those test results?
tirerack has

1. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec

2. Bridgestone RE-01R

3. Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07

4. Kumho Ecsta XS

5. BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD

just throwing that out there

Tirerack tested the AD08, RE-11, Ecsta XS, and Star Spec:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

Dry lap times: 1. AD08 2. Star Spec 3. Ecsta XS 4. RE-11

Wet lap times: 1. RE-11 2. AD08 3. Star Spec (all tied with margin of error) 4. Ecsta XS

My pick, the AD08.

Latest posts

Back