The unofficial GUN talk thread

i-wagon

Think I'm going to part with the sr22 pistol. Want a more lightweight compact rifle, maybe something the little one could use if she wanted(when that time comes). Really like the looks of the Ruger m77 hawkeye compact. I had one in .223 when I was ten. Barrel is only 16.5" certainly compact enough compared to the model 70 I carry during deer season

Viago

Certified NRA Instructor
Think I'm going to part with the sr22 pistol. Want a more lightweight compact rifle, maybe something the little one could use if she wanted(when that time comes). Really like the looks of the Ruger m77 hawkeye compact. I had one in .223 when I was ten. Barrel is only 16.5" certainly compact enough compared to the model 70 I carry during deer season
Ive had a ruger M77 MkII compact in 243. LOVED IT sold it to get an AK, then shit went bat shit crazy so I got my NRA Instructor Cert instead. Still miss it. really accurate and light weight, and comfortable for my height and reach im 6 foot 2 in

i-wagon

Did yours have feed issues? If mine wasn't loaded just so the cartridges would feed funny and dent. After that dad got rid of it because the model 70 would feed right no matter what you do. If I got another m77 compact it'd be .243 or .308

inski

If the bolt has a rotating lugs sometimes the bolt lugs gets installed 180* off and has feeding problems.  Simple fix, remove bolt, rotate lugs, reinstall.

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

Only rotating parts on the bolt that i remember only go in one way. I'd never heard of a bolt action doing what that one did

inski

My Savage did that.  Bolt lugs can spin round and around.  I (or my son) put back in 180 off one time then had feeding problems for a long time.  I called Savage and they were like "oh, that's an easy fix. Dummass."  Well, they didn't say dummass.  But I felt like one.  All the lights went on when the guy explained it to me.

I think you're right though.  The more expensive rifles like the M77 are probably built  so they can only be put back one way.  The Savage Edge/Axis is the entry level rifle.  Its a nice rifle once the the owner figures out the correct bolt lug orientation.
default_biggrin.png

Viago

Certified NRA Instructor
Did yours have feed issues? If mine wasn't loaded just so the cartridges would feed funny and dent. After that dad got rid of it because the model 70 would feed right no matter what you do. If I got another m77 compact it'd be .243 or .308
Never had any issue with my M77 MkII. The bolt slit smooth and crisp looked like a gunsmith did some nice work to it. Trigger was crip as well. The 243 in compact, specialy in the M77 Compact (since its not designed for youth) shot rather well and bairly any recoil but still had a lot of stopping power. the only adv the 308 would be is bigger game and maybe range in that length of a barrel. If you ever see a compact M77 in 243 send me a PM!!

Nate

Founding Father
Love the Gunsite scout.. awesome idea. Hate that it takes proprietary magazines though. Needs to use AR10 mags to be a winner in my book. Plus little pricey.

i-wagon

Yeah the regular compact.308 is almost 400 cheaper, I can live without iron sights, and detachable box mag isn't that big of a deal to me

Gretsch308

Well going to sell 4 handguns to fund a project. It will be epic!

Walther P22 .22 LR

Taurus 941 .22 mag

IMI Baby Desert Eagle 9mm

Desert Eagle .50 AE

Latest posts

Back