Winter Tire & Wheel Options, Opinions Wanted

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
good point -- "if you wanna play, ya gotta pay"

as for nut behind the wheel, not much to do about that!

actually yes there is, if you see you are gonna whack a pothole, brake hard leading up to hole and then RELEASE THE BRAKES just before you hit. this unloads the suspension and lets wheel roll over the hole better instead of hitting a sharp edge while basically locked up.

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
good point -- "if you wanna play, ya gotta pay"
as for nut behind the wheel, not much to do about that!

actually yes there is, if you see you are gonna whack a pothole, brake hard leading up to hole and then RELEASE THE BRAKES just before you hit. this unloads the suspension and lets wheel roll over the hole better instead of hitting a sharp edge while basically locked up.
This is what I did when I saw that same pavement transition that taco'd his wheel. I learned quickly on auburn back roads over the years, started driving in a jeep(tank) though so it didn't matter.

Iboc_C64

Yeah, the issue happened on the group drive. I had taken this road just days before, but in the opposite direction. So I totally forgot about this hill that was paved right in the middle of nowhere. Going in the opposite direction, the transition from dirt to tar was unnoticable. But going in the uphill direction trucks had worn some ruts just before the transition and by the time I realized what was comming I did not have much time to slow down. I think I did brake and release just before the transition, which is probably why I don't have 2 bent rims. I immediately picked up the radio and tried to warn everyone else. I think Dan (RangeleyRallyDG) is the only other person that hit hard but his rims were already warped and after the drive they seemed better than they were! He thinks he warped them straight, I dunno about that but as long as it rides better than it did then more power to em.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
the issue happened on the group drive.
aha, group drive carnage. say no more, I understand perfectly. you hit the edge because you was going too slow.
default_smile.png

Iboc_C64

Just trying to keep enough space between Dan (RangeleyRallyDG) and I while not ruining everyones fun by driving like an old woman. This also kept me driving a little faster than I did on the test run. I wasn't being too crazy though, I had my VDC enabled at the time to make sure I could stay ahead without sliding. I assume Dan had his off, since I saw him sideways in my rearview just a minute before I warped the rim, lol. He has been driving AWD Subarus longer than I have so he is more confident on dirt.

-----Added 11/30/2009 at 01:51:43-----

FYI, I sent a message to Kerry Staples of Alloy Wheel Repair and another to Tire Rack. I was hoping Tire Rack might be able to get me just 1 even though they are reporting out of stock. If not then I hope a rim repair is less than $100 because the rims cost less than that per rim new.

gakosaurusrex

Yeah, the issue happened on the group drive. I had taken this road just days before, but in the opposite direction. So I totally forgot about this hill that was paved right in the middle of nowhere. Going in the opposite direction, the transition from dirt to tar was unnoticable. But going in the uphill direction trucks had worn some ruts just before the transition and by the time I realized what was comming I did not have much time to slow down. I think I did brake and release just before the transition, which is probably why I don't have 2 bent rims. I immediately picked up the radio and tried to warn everyone else. I think Dan (RangeleyRallyDG) is the only other person that hit hard but his rims were already warped and after the drive they seemed better than they were! He thinks he warped them straight, I dunno about that but as long as it rides better than it did then more power to em.
haha pritty funny u and i must of hit that transition around 6...i mean 35 MPH!

i think i knocked stuff out when i hit it, my car dosnt shake as much now so w/e

gakosaurusrex

Just trying to keep enough space between Dan (RangeleyRallyDG) and I while not ruining everyones fun by driving like an old woman. This also kept me driving a little faster than I did on the test run. I wasn't being too crazy though, I had my VDC enabled at the time to make sure I could stay ahead without sliding. I assume Dan had his off, since I saw him sideways in my rearview just a minute before I warped the rim, lol. He has been driving AWD Subarus longer than I have so he is more confident on dirt.

-----Added 11/30/2009 at 01:51:43-----

FYI, I sent a message to Kerry Staples of Alloy Wheel Repair and another to Tire Rack. I was hoping Tire Rack might be able to get me just 1 even though they are reporting out of stock. If not then I hope a rim repair is less than $100 because the rims cost less than that per rim new.
i never keep that traction control on anyways =) yeah i got the awd thing down. hopfully they will fix it cheep!

Iboc_C64

Ok, just got off the phone with Kyle at Tire rack. Looks like I am all set, they have 1 left for me in Delaware and a fresh shipment will be in in 2 to 3 weeks. $91 per rim right now, looks like I will be just fine and it should not mess with my plans for mud flaps soon. Thanks guys.

GClark

you guys have finally discovered the secrets of "Maine alignment"
default_rolleyes.gif

I had so much mud caked on the bottom of my car from Jeep trails in Utah that I couldn't go over 50mph on the way back. It was shaking so much I thought for sure I broke something. Washed it off the next day and she was back ta new. When I go over 75ish she still vibrates, probably has some secret mud hidden deep within the axels:party:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
When I go over 75ish she still vibrates, probably has some secret mud hidden deep within the axels:party:
all it takes is about an ounce of mud clotted inside a wheel rim and it'll shake like a terrier with a delectable rat

amazing how little mud or snow caked in a wheel can make a Big Shake OMFG the whole tranny is blowed!
default_additional_party.gif

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
First time I had it happen was when I was heading home from when I was in school in mass. I had eff'ed around in a snowy parking lot and didn't know wtf happened to my car. Pulled off the mass pike and kicked off the big chunks.

gakosaurusrex

First time I had it happen was when I was heading home from when I was in school in mass. I had eff'ed around in a snowy parking lot and didn't know wtf happened to my car. Pulled off the mass pike and kicked off the big chunks.
yea it feels more like riding a hourse them driven a car
default_additional_iam.gif
haha

i-wagon

if you want some custom "s+s racing" rally flaps i can make some for around $20 without mounting hardware....and the hardware is the hard part

Rallikid

Hey guys, What are your opinions on Nokian Hakkapeliitta-Rsi Snow Tires. I just picked up a used set with about 10/32 of tread left. With no snow in the southern N.H forcast. I'm thinking about doing a roadtrip to find some snow.
default_banana.gif

seph

Hey guys, What are your opinions on Nokian Hakkapeliitta-Rsi Snow Tires. I just picked up a used set with about 10/32 of tread left. With no snow in the southern N.H forcast. I'm thinking about doing a roadtrip to find some snow.
default_mad.gif
good luck with that, I think the mountains just started making snow. Anything we had on the ground is long gone now....

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Ken, since you have bought and paid for the hakkas they are therefore the Perfect Snow Tyres...enjoy em they are purty dang good rubbA

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Hakka RSi's = road biased snow tires, sort of "super all season" but they are a huge improvement over normal road tires. you trade off some deep snow grip for better response in sharp transitions on wet/cold pavement. It's a decent tradeoff.

BFH you can drive fine, in a Hakka shod RS on winter roads you will have no probs (unless caused by vehicle control unit software failure
default_frown.gif
). remember you have a limited slip R diff, and that 3-wheel drive is pretty capable
default_smile.png

and oh snap....unless you run Hoosier slicks on the RS, it will go waay better in snow than a Talaclipse
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back