01 Legacy Outback - Transmission?

MuddyWRX

My girlfriend went home today to visit family and made it about 3.5 hours on the highway in the hi 90s for temps before "it just stopped". She pulled over, and the car is running fine. But nothing happens when she tries to go, I had her manually shift it into other gears still no movement. So, obviously transmission issues. After she let it sit for a while the transmission fluid sounds like it all ran out onto the ground. As she is almost 4 hours away, I'm kind of unable to be there and help her, but we got it to the nearest Subaru dealership. They were closed, so I will have to call in the morning. And stabs in the dark as to what might have happened? I don't know enough about these cars to make a guess without being there. Rough idea $$$ to replace/rebuild/fix transmission by a dealership?

Jsmith

if you need to buy one i have a automatic trans from my wrx that works perfect. that i'd let go for 400$

Meyagi

I'm a hack
sounds like a line came off and it puked all the fluid out, or the cooler burst in the radiator and mixed coolant with trans fluid

MuddyWRX

I'm hoping just broken line its in the garage this morning. Is it damaging to run out of fluid and coast to a stop? Not a transmission guy lol if it does need new I'll get in touch.

dsmith

yes, didn't realize my brother was signed in on my computer. i'm the one with the trans lol.

MuddyWRX

Ok so since I can't put my hands on it I am going to feel like they are out to screw me. Just the way I am. Last report I got was that the brake caliper froze up and melted the transmission line ( I assume to the cooler?) Is that something likely on an outback? I know it would be impossible BS on my solid axle jeeps, but this thing is different in so many ways that I have to ask.

i-wagon

Unless the tranny cooler is on the hub, I'd say not likely, line from age or rust sounds more reasonable

MuddyWRX

Any time I've had a caliper stick enough to cause that much heat, it was pretty much undrivable. And still never enough to melt a line attached to the frame in that area. Just wanted to make sure that a Subaru isn't any different. My guess is the line went bad, and blew transmission fluid everywhere. That would call for replacing the pads typically, and I was changing them within the next month or so anyways. I haven't talked to the shop itself yet, but they may also be replacing them for that reason too. I hate paying a shop for stuff like that, ~$700 later for stuff I could have done. But then again, remembering all the times I've had to fight with rusty bolts for hours on end...

Latest posts

Back