02 transmission....

Mr Mike

well as we all know the 02s have an issue with getting into first some times while moving..... it seems that getting into second is getting notchy..... oh the syncros....... my 02 has 97k on it, I think that monday I am going to swap the trany and rear diff out to some mobil 1 syn oil to smooth things up a bit. I really want to try a bit of rally cross and what not but can the weak ass 02 trany really hold up to my abuse???? or should I buy another 91 VW GTi???

I find it hard to belive that my 87 VW scirocco gear box was tuffer then my wrx box, but it seems to be truth.... does any one know of any fixes for this??? are there up dated syncros? or is the only answer going to a different gearbox? sti or some thing?

what really bumms me out is that I haven't added any horse power to the car yet.... just an intake and exhaust..... I like fast cars but I like tuff cars better!

lets hear some ideas guys 8)

mike

katnip

the car is black. I swear
It's a scooby tranny, I have never owned one that liked 1st while moving >
default_wink.png

if you can get your hands on some motul, try that instead of the mobil 1, but either way syn in the way to go, althoguh I've heard a lot of grumbling about redline in scoobies, too thin?

Bring it to Union to rallyx, you only need frist gear anyway
default_biggrin.png
;D if you wanna keep the turbo spooled up and in the power.

kathy

C

chris

My trans in my 02 did the same thing wjile I has still under warranty, The fucke heads at Maine Mall Subaru said you aren't suppose to downshift into 1st.
default_biggrin.png
>
default_biggrin.png
>
default_biggrin.png

Anyways here I am with a jetta now. The 04 WRX I test drove brand new had the same issue, the 05 I test drove was friggen worse. The 87 toyota celica gt-s I had (no floors and 179,000 miles) had a better trans the WRXs. The 06 WRX I drove last week was awesome, both Vinnie and I downshifted no problems into 1st a few times, and VInnie drives like old people fudge...slow and jerky.
default_wink.png

The Subaru manuals gain too much space inside. The shafts flex and the bearings open up, get too sloppy, and basically all the gutts don't fit together well anymore, resulting in hard or impossible 2-1 downshifts, fucked up 2nd gears, fucked up 3rd gears, syncros fry. Usually (from what I hear) new bearings and synchos take car of a lot of issues. There are clearences that need to be addressed when disassembling and re-assembling these things, and often techs just throw it all together without measuring stuff (because of the flat rate system), and sometimes crap gets f-ed up again, that's why many insist on new transmissions.

Rally-xes are screwy for WRXs because you come out of boost so often. Rochester was nice because we stayed in 1st the whole course, keeping boost up. Others were nice in my wagon because I'd leave it in 2nd for the slower turns and have a nice predictability of the car. Sometimes I wished I could dump it into 1st from 2nd and wouldn't because I know I wouldn't go. I pretty much didn't care too much, the wrx likes to "come around" and the stomp and wait method was OK with me. A soon as you get boost in second gear you gotta lift because its "coming around" the other way.

Chasing your ass around an entire rally-x course is funner than fun can be in a WRX, reguardless of having 1st gear or not. Just do it. ;D

Mr Mike

::thumbs up:: I'll do what I can to get to the rally x, in the mean time maybe I'll send triple caution an e-mail for some motul

m

Latest posts

Back