05 Impreza control arm replacement

Maxxguy25RS

So, first time posting a topic, I hope I'm posting in the right place.

On the night of that first real snow we just had, things didn't go so well for my car. Direct hit of a massive pot hole caused a huge problem... bent control arm.

Now before I forget, I already had the recall done for the control arms, so I didn't know where to go from there. Patriot Subaru in Saco couldn't look at the car till monday, which they needed to do to see if they could cover incase there is a warranty on brand new control arms under the recall. But I couldn't wait, so thanks to freshcraig, I got a used control arm, and put it in.

0114122041.jpg

That is not how the tire is supposed to sit in the wheel well.

0114122042.jpg

Curb rash and bent rim. Still drivable, at least it appears that way

0114122043.jpg

Control arm in the car, clearly bent and not pretty

0114122135.jpg

Side by side comparison between the good part and the bad part. Now, a previously stated, I have yet to take the bent arm into Patriot to see if they can do anything. I don't think a brand new control arm should bend after striking a pot hole. But, the new (used) part looks to be in good shape, just a little bit muddy.

0115120035.jpg

With fresh undercoat sprayed on, you cant even notice it once looked dirty.

That had to dry overnight. Ill update this when I put it back in the car. I didn't have to take much apart. Just the ball joint nut, tie rod end nut, sway bar end link, control arm side, and the bolts holding the control arm in place. No alignment needed so far!! In case there are a few wondering, I did check the strut and the strut tower for bending and they looked to be in good shape.

More picks to come and a working car soon.

Matt

prob wouldnt say to much about the pothole...that's a driving hazard and not so much a part failure. good luck getting it replaced.

Maxxguy25RS

so. I got the control arm replaced yesterday, pics on the results soon. now though, im having a growling noise from the right front. GRR. I thought I would have fixed it. so it sounds like a wheel bearing, the noise changes as I load up different sides of the car in turns. bearings are cheap, so that's first, then ill see whats happening after that.

Mighty Subie

They aren't that cheap (60ish if I remember right). And they can be a pita to change. I had a 10 ton ram bypassing (maxed out) trying to push one out of my old wrx... But its not that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxxguy25RS

all done. no wacky pulling steering wheel and no more growling from the wheel bearing. lesson learned. watch out for holes and dont do it wrong!

Matt

watch out for curbs right......I may have had an incident with a curb myself....but I had a lifetime warranty...free wheel bearing for me!!!

Latest posts

Back