05 legacy ticking?

birdman2447

I have a 05 legacy with 130k on it. It has developed a noticeable tick over the last month that has not seemed to get any worse. Any suggestion on what could be causing it? Should I try and check the valve clearance first? The tick is rpm and load dependent. It increases in frequency with rpm and only occurs at idle or very low load situations. Partial or full load it is almost non existent. I have posted a vid to help you guys try and better understand the type of noise. The noise in the video is louder then normal in the cab due to the window being open. I will try and post a better vid of under the hood soon. http://youtu.be/FKtAHD5gaOU

Any suggestions? I am willing to throw someone a few bucks in the portland or l/a area to help me diagnosis it if interested.

birdman2447

What also makes me think its rod knock is it gets louder as the engine warms up(oil gets thinner) and once it's up to temp dosent get worse.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
rod knock does not go away. if you spun a bearing, noise never will go away. ask me how i know

i-wagon

Yeah, rod bearing noise is wicked obvious, at least in my Blazer it was, like I was going down the road and said "I just lost a rod bearing"

inski

Things that sometimes tick....

*valves, ill-adjusted

*injectors

*dropped valve guide

*I've even hear belts and idlers tick.

It will be heard to tell from a video.  Its hard to get a gasp the direction and depth to iron out a location.  Judging by your description my guess is you need a valve adjustment.

Latest posts

Back