05 LGT at 66K- Proactive Turbo Replacement?

ShagginWagon

Ok guys- took 05 LGT to Chips for some routine work, and got 'the talk'. The one where he warns you that the LGT turbos tend to blow around 100K miles, and that you might end up doing the engine at the same time, might as well sell it before that happens, blah, blah...

Thing is, I know he's right. The 05 turbos have been hit or miss. It seems like a lot of folks have lost one.

So, should I consider doing a proactive turbo swap for a new Subie or aftermarket unit? Car has 66K on it now, running a Cobb Stg 1 tune. I figure a new turbo is less expensive than waiting for it to fail.

Thoughts?

Meyagi

I'm a hack
I think removing the turbo feed screen and replacing the prone to fail oil pick up tube is a much better way to prevent failure of the turbo and the engine.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Are you just looking for statements further validating your "excuse" for a bigger turbo and a stg. 2 tune?

Go for it!! Haha
default_tongue.png

No I havr heard about the 05s having terrible snails, look around on lgt.com if you already dont

ShagginWagon

I think removing the turbo feed screen and replacing the prone to fail oil pick up tube is a much better way to prevent failure of the turbo and the engine.
I like the idea of a cheaper option, but will I still have to worry about the shaft bearings? Or are those not usually an issue?

Meyagi

I'm a hack
the turbo goes bad because the screen in the banjo bolt that feeds the turbo gets clogged with crap and the turbo starves of oil. but they would rather sell you a turbo since it pays much better
default_smile.png

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
05 turbos have been hit or miss. It seems like a lot of folks have lost one.

So, should I consider doing a proactive turbo swap for a new Subie or aftermarket unit? Car has 66K on it now, running a Cobb Stg 1 tune. I figure a new turbo is less expensive than waiting for it to fail.

Thoughts?
question is, do you listen to a lot of online whining (usu by those who have no idea of why their turbo went) or to the voice of experience? sometimes a solution is simple than you think. in this case, the proactive work is to address the problem that kills the snail....before it kills the snail.

mikebike357

When neighbor was looking for a used subie, Chips told him to steer clear of turbos because of problems. I think they may just be anti-turbo there.

Nate

Founding Father
Mike is correct. There are 2 filters that should be yanked out of the oil feed lined that can cause oil starvation. No need to replace a turbo till it goes bad for some other reason. But it won't catastrophically fail unless it gets oil starved. Honestly Its a case of bad maintenance. If your oil has been changed with quality oil and at the right intervals, (hypothetically) the screen shouldn't be plugged. But pulling the screens is the safer thing to do. What little sediment they were put there to filter out, basically aren't doing anything to the turbo. It was a case of over engineering gone bad.

Sad fact is... you have a mechanic that is trying to get you to drop major coin ($1000 for a new turbo) to replace a turbo that could be fine. Frankly you could toss a new turbo at it, and with the same plugged up lines you could blow the brand new turbo in less then 3000 miles. IT IS NOT THE TURBO. IT'S THE OIL LINE FILTERS.

ShagginWagon

I feel a visit to Mr. Meyagis oil line screen pulling emporium coming on....Or should I sack up and try this myself?

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
When neighbor was looking for a used subie, Chips told him to steer clear of turbos because of problems. I think they may just be anti-turbo there.
most subaru shops including some dealers are anti-turbo, because "they are so much harder to work on and dont make as much money as working on a n/a"

I really dont think they are that much more difficult. most issues on turbo cars are not a fault of the car, but the results of beating on them, or lack of proper maintenance.

SUBARUDE

I would put a new sti short block in and you will never have a issue the weak part of the 05+ gt is the main bearings

This is what plugs the screens and kills the turbo

inski

Mike is right. Lack of oil changes is the number cause of killing the LGTs. The screens do clog, but clog with gunk due to lack of oil changes. When I was at Patriot we were getting in 05s with 25k on them with cooked turbos and the "pots and pans" banging engine. 99% of the time the customer was over due a few thousand on the oil change and the car got daily hot suppers. The main bearings are adequate, just not up for daily beating like other Subarus can tolerate. We have customers at EG approaching 200k with their 05LGTs and still on their original turbo and short block. Those people also have a long history of regular maintenance. Recently had a customer that did well with oil changes, then skipped one at 114,000. Kaboom.

I have nothing good to say about Chip's. That is all.

Yeah, go see Mike and get the screens out. Spend the short money and you'll be good for a long time.

Mighty Subie

most issues are caused by lack of proper maint. Pull the screens, change the oil on time, and live long and prosper.

ShagginWagon

Mike is right. Lack of oil changes is the number cause of killing the LGTs. The screens do clog, but clog with gunk due to lack of oil changes. When I was at Patriot we were getting in 05s with 25k on them with cooked turbos and the "pots and pans" banging engine. 99% of the time the customer was over due a few thousand on the oil change and the car got daily hot suppers. The main bearings are adequate, just not up for daily beating like other Subarus can tolerate. We have customers at EG approaching 200k with their 05LGTs and still on their original turbo and short block. Those people also have a long history of regular maintenance. Recently had a customer that did well with oil changes, then skipped one at 114,000. Kaboom.
What do you guys recommend up there? Mobile 1 every 5K? Or every 3?

When does Evergreen South open? We need a good dealer down here.

inski

Yeah, I'd never go beyond 3k no matter what it says on a bottle of oil.

ShagginWgn, you need to find your place, your guy, your mechanic. Look close to work, and close to home and branch out from there. Everyone needs their own place to take their car. Everyone starts at the dealer during warranty, but after that its good to have a guy that will work with what you need and what you want. Maybe bring it to a dealer once a year for a oil change because they'll give you the s4!t list every time. They're looking for what they know goes wrong with each model.

HR radness

His royal radness
Inski speaketh the truth, but I have been religious about changing the oil on the wife's LGT wagon after replacing her VF40 with a rebuilt one (along with replacing a chunked/burnt valve). It's on it's way out now, car is eating oil at a prodigious rate, so it looks like I will need a replacement turbo soon. BNR supercars offers a bolt-in replacement starting at $800 that's warrantied for a year as long as you buy their oil line kit. That's what I am planning on installing soon.

Had I done that in the first place I would have spent $1000 on an upgraded turbo/tune and most likely avoided all the problems the VF40 turbos have caused (small oil line/oil screen, weak bearings in the turbo, etc) instead of blowing $2000+ on diagnosis/turbo replacement/valve job/second turbo replacement, blah blah blah

There has been a lot of discussion on this over on Legacygt.com, check it all out and decide for yourself

Good luck

Latest posts

Back