'05 Outback strut options?

HR radness

His royal radness
This has been hashed out a lot on subaruoutback.org but I figured I would hit you guys up for info.

The wife's '05 LL bean outback feels like it's riding on marshmallows and not struts/springs. I'm chalking a lot of it up to the age of the struts (180K) but I know that the stock ride is super soft to begin with. My question is, are there any other OEM strut/spring combos that will give a better ride? (forester, etc?) I'd honestly like to put bilstiens on but that's a lot of coin and only obtainable from Japanland

Its a nice ride otherwise, just needs some help suspensionwise

HR radness

His royal radness
I dont mind lowering or of course going up
default_smile.png
I just need a smoother more comfortable ride. "Floaty" doesn't even begin to describe how it feels. The LGT wagon She had before this was fantastic comparatively

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah, I was going to suggest the King Springs. You can get standard height King Springs which may lift the car a half an inch or so, and the King lift springs lift 1-2". And as Gabe said, they are much stiffer so they won't have near the floaty feeling. And if you need to replace your struts as well, then go with KYB's, they are a good all around strut, and are close to stock, but usually valved slightly stiffer.

I just replaced the OEM springs and struts on my wife's 01 Outback at 125k. I went back to new OEM springs because I've always found that gen of OB ride to my liking but I put on the KYBs (GR2s?) which did stiffen the ride up significantly over the old OEM struts. Overall I think it's plenty stiff for a DD, I especially like it when we load it to go on vacation.

Now if only it had some balls...

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
I swapped in a set of brand new 06 Baja springs into my 01 Outback, lifted mine just over inch, less marshmallow feel and direct fit. Also replaced my struts with kyb's. much firmer and decent price. But seeing how yours is the newer body than mine unsure of fitment, though suspensions look similar. New struts alone will likely improve your road feel.

Damn, didn't know you could do that with the Baja springs...

The new springs on my 01 "lifted" it back up to where it should have been. It went up almost an inch over the 130k mile original springs. Now I ride around noticing all the saggy Outbacks on the road.

Latest posts

Back