06 WRX dead in the water. No CEL...

smelt240

Will a weak fuel pump/ plugged fuel filter not give a CEL?   The wife's car died today on her way to work, spins over but wont start. Doesn't seem to be timing related. I can get it to run a bit if I turn the key 8 or 10 times, then try to start it, but it wont rev, maybe reach 2000 rpms then die out.  It makes no funny noise when it does run, so Im quite sure its nothing catastrophic. Just seems strange to get no CEL from it. Any ideas?   Its at the garage near her work now, I took a few hours off from work and towed it there....

xxnightraven73x

^who i am ...what i say --->
a weak or dead pump usually wont throw a cel a fuel pressure test is the best way to check .. i do have the pump assembly in the wagon im parting i could pull i believe its good 

Last edited by a moderator:

smelt240

Ok, were hoping for the fuel pressure, if it jumped a tooth, Im assuming that's not enough to cause any engine damage? It sounds fine when it will kind of run, other than it wont rev...   exhaust note sounds right, no engine noises.     The turning the key thing 8 or 10 times then getting it to fire seems strange if it was a timing issue, but Im just hoping for the best (cheapest) case here... Should know more this morning, they were going to do a pressure test for me last night..

Also, would a jumped belt throw a CEL?   I thought Id seen a code for cam timing...  

xxnightraven73x

^who i am ...what i say --->
I've had a couple jump a tooth or two and misfire like crazy and usually will throw a cel for misfire or something of that nature.. 2 teeth won't do any damage any more and its trouble..

I'd start with fuel pressure and go from there since that's the easier of the two.timing isn't all that bad to check/do anyway

smelt240

Sounds like its a weak pump. Theyre going to change it for her...  Id probably break something.

smelt240

OK so her garage is slow.  How hard is it to change (Ive done them under the seat before, I think that's where this one is, if so I know its easy)??

Also , nightraven what would you want for your pump??

Latest posts

Back