07 STi tranny going in!

jcovey2.5

well, 3rd gear in my tranny went about 2 weeks ago.

so i decided to get an Sti tranny, instead of wasting my money on anther RS tranny that will break again

i chose the 07 Sti tranny cuz it has the different gear ratios. i wont even have to come out of 4th gear drag racing. unlike the other years of the sti tranny's where ur into 5th.

it also comes with a WRX r160 rear diff w/ the 3.54 filal drive, but when u add the drop (transfer) gears in the center diff it makes a 3.90 overall final drive ratio. making it compatible with the STi tranny, so i wont have to buy the sti r180, axels, hubs, and breaks. so ill save like $2000 for now. although im using the Sti drive shaft, so the end of it needs to be swaped out to hook up to the WRX rear diff. my front axels are also gonna be modified the same way so it bolts into the tranny. but everything i need is include in the swap kit i got from ECS. just not as much power sliding around corners with WRX rear diff haha ;D

it should be deliverd to my house either fri or on monday. cant wait to get it in!

-Joe

STi-zy Wagon

I'm jealous. Really jealous. If you don't mind me asking... How much do I have to save up to get the same thing?? you can PM me that info you you'd like. Thanks
default_frown.gif

jcovey2.5

I'm jealous. Really jealous. If you don't mind me asking... How much do I have to save up to get the same thing?? you can PM me that info you you'd like. Thanks
default_frown.gif
$5700 but that includes shipping, and it is warranteed if anything goes wrong

jcovey2.5

so as soon as you get that paid for are you going to start saving for an r180?
ya the r180 and everything will come eventually,but my rear stuts are blown.

so ill most likely be getting a set of tein super street coilovers when the tranny is paid for

jcovey2.5

one other glitch in your plan is that the STI 6MT speedo drive is different connector than WRX.

you will have to budget extra time and aggravation to rewire and troubleshoot that connex so you will have speedo and odo with your new setup.

make sure you have sussed out the diff clutch bits you'll need as well

prop shaft is different, you'll need either an STI propshaft or a new flange to retrofit your WRX propshaft (good luck, this job is a PITA)

6-spd conversion is notorious for adding downtime while you chase bits you didn't know you didn't know about!
default_wink.png
the mech. wire harness for the speedo/odo is actually the same as the STi's, so it just plugs right into the new tranny.

and unless ur thinking of something else, pretty sure subarus dont have any propshaft.

im sure there might be some little things i need, but ECS knows there shit and should have sent me everything i need

-Joe

jcovey2.5

propshaft=driveshaft. the thing that goes from the tranny to the rear diff.
ahh, didnt know they were the same thing...

but in that case i have an the sti driveshaft with a different end on it so it will match up with my rear diff

Rightseat

the mech. wire harness for the speedo/odo is actually the same as the STi's, so it just plugs right into the new tranny.

im sure there might be some little things i need, but ECS knows there shit and should have sent me everything i need

-Joe
speedo connex on 03 WRX and STI gearbox are NOT same, well maybe you got luckly

"ECS should have sent me everything I need" I'm glad to hear you are an optimist !
default_wink.png
Been my experience there's almost always something tht comes up short. which is why swap threads tend to go for weeks!

jcovey2.5

have a 05 2.5RS by the way

but my bad i forgot that the WRX rear diff was included in the kit.

the WRX r160 has the 3.54 filal drive, but when u add the drop (transfer) gears in the center diff it makes a 3.90 overall final drive ratio. making it compatible with the STi tranny.

jcovey2.5

well, its finaly in!!!

turns out that the 07 starter is different, good thing is i got one for free!

Neetronics DCCD controller is going soon, the thing does some great stuff

cant wait to hit the track :evil1:

i already practiced launching down the street at 4000rpm haha

Rightseat

oooh, we have a Neetronics diff controller in the LDR rally car, it's a great leetle piece of kit. fun to twiddle & fiddle and see what changes.

jcovey2.5

oooh, we have a Neetronics diff controller in the LDR rally car, it's a great leetle piece of kit. fun to twiddle & fiddle and see what changes.
nice maybe u can help me twiddle and fiddle with it haha :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back