08 Impreza Starting and noise issues.

08Impreza

Hey Guys....I recently bought a new 08 Impreza with the 2.5i engine. I have had a few issues and have been in contact with Subaru. Here is the break down....At around 2500 rpms in 4th gear the engine seems a bit loud at times. Tapping sound if you will.....but not all the time. I have had it in to both Patriot and MMM (I know big mistake with MMM) and they say it sounds just like a new car but have never taken that ride with me in the car. I would not be to concerned if it was not for the fact that is seems to lose HP a bit when it happens. I also have had 2 cases of the car not starting on first turn of the key at mid day when it was warm out. Now my last Subaru was a long time ago and was a 72 wagon so I know things have changed but I am thinking a new ride should not have these issues. oh and one more thing....from day one the alignment has been out a bit and the wheel is angled right a touch. MMM does not even have the specs for the 08 impreza to align it. I will make the drive north if Evergreen can hook me up. MMM was going to do it under warranty but the wait is killing me. Any advise guys would be great.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I have no idea why MMM would not have the alignment specs for the car. They should have at least one factory manual in the shop since they have them on the lot.

Hopefully Shorty (Evergreen) or Bubba Suby (Patriot) will chime in and let you know about alignment specs.

On the starting issue and the loudness and power loss Not sure what would be the first step on that. Any help from Subaru of America?

08Impreza

Subaru of America did not get back to me after I had it at MMM. They were to be in contact with MMM service manager but I heard nothing on it. Maybe I will send her a nice email and see what is going on.

Any help from the guys would be great.

inski

Check your owner's manual. The alignment specs used to be in there, not sure about 08s.

I thought Chris Delphonze was the Srvc Mngr at MMM? Anne is just the service advisor. Next time you bring it in leave it for a day or two so they can drive it a lot. Have them watch the knock sensor readings.

Carter

Administrator
Check your owner's manual. The alignment specs used to be in there, not sure about 08s.

I thought Chris Delphonze was the Srvc Mngr at MMM? Anne is just the service advisor. Next time you bring it in leave it for a day or two so they can drive it a lot. Have them watch the knock sensor readings.
Anne doesn't work there anymore. I have to say though, Chris Dalphonse is a good guy.

08Impreza

There are 2 guys named Chris there in service. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to knock any dealer I just want to first new car I have ever had to be right.

This car is fun to drive. Mind you it is not the WRX I wanted but it is a Subie and all mine. I just read an article about a knocking issue with 08 2.5 liters with the Turbo. I wonder if there is an issue with some of the non-turbo engines on a smaller scale.

The engines have changed a lot since my last Subaru so I will tell you I am here looking to you guys for help. I met Pedro here in town and and he mentioned STM. This seems like the place to be and I hope to fit in.

The her I was refering to contacting was the rep from Subaru of America.

Thanks guys!!

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
How are you Greywolf? Maybe I can help you out.

It takes more than having the alignment specs, the machine has to have the up-dated software. We are still waiting on Hunter to set us up, but it should be real soon. So they are probably in the same boat.

But, as far as the noise goes, this is the first I've heard of it. They really should have gone for a ride with you. There is no way of knowing if the noise you hear is what they heard. It is probably nothing they can fix, but how do they know for sure.

08Impreza

Hey Shorty,

I kinda figured there was more to it than the specs. I just left Pedro's place and he said he will take a listen. It may just be me not really knowing the sound of the boxer motor.

I will have to have Pedro take a listen and see if it is just me or if there is something to it. He said you were the one of the guys to talk to. I appreciate the info.

Thanks a lot.

Dan

Carter

Administrator
Let me tell you something about MMM. I agree they can be troublesome, but don't take any crap from them. At first I felt they thought of me as some punk kid who didn't know crap, but then when you call SOA and talk to the GM, they treat you with some respect. I have a good relationship with them now and no problems, plus they do me favors now and then.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Carter, what are you using to datalog on the 08 leggy?

I am looking for something to DL on GW's impreza to get an idea of what is going on with it. Rom Raider doesn't have a datalog definition for that ECU

Carter

Administrator
I am using the latest version of RR along with the Tactrix cable. I can't say that I have any problems, even with previous versions. What does RR have to say?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I haven't E-Mailed them as of yet. I just looked at their site and noticed that they don't say that they have support for any of the 2008 Subaru's as of yet.

I may be looking in the wrong place though.

Carter

Administrator
Also try openecu.org there may be someone there who can help. There is also EcuExplorer but I have never used it.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I have the latest and greatest for EcuExplorer as well.. I will have to see if they have anything for it.

oh I think I found an OBDII tool that works with the Tatrix as well.. I have to check it out at some point, but the software is saved on my drive.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
basic Timing, A/F values, anything that will clue me into the power loss that Dan is experiencing.

I should just hook it up and see if the values I am seeing make sense, the ECU may be covered by the Datalogger but not the Rom Editor feature.

Hmm... Dan, I guess you are going to have to stop by one night so I can hook this thing up and see if it works out of the box.

Carter

Administrator
I was going to say, I have a Actron scanner that looks at realtime values, but doesn't log anything, I doubt that's what you're looking for though.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
yeah I was hoping to basically log everything that I can think of that would show me why the car is down on power.

08Impreza

I am good with stopping by anytime man. I think I told you there is a new issue that has started and it happened again on the way home tonight.

As I come to a stop the engine with trottle up and then down to low idle. This is with the clutch fully pressed to floor and my foot on the break. This has happened first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon at about 50 degree temps. It comes out of it the next day. I have no idea but I will say that I requested a phone call from SOA in my last email and have yet to hear from them. Anyone have there number?

Pedro give me a call and we can hook it up.

Latest posts

Back