1.8 turbo setup

Killerbumblebee

ok, ok, I cave guys. I was going to do a 2.2 swap in my "new" impreza hatch, but there isn't a lot of point in doing that when you can do a 2.5 just as easy. That being said, I think I desided to go 1.8T rout. I have a list of questions for all you knowledgable people out there:

1. how well does the impreza 1.8 take boost stock

2. the 1.8L Turbo engine out of the loyal, does the block from that work with the heads from the newer impreza 1.8.

3. what turbo manifold options do I have, will a loyal turbo work, or do I have to get something custom.

4. STi injectors I've heard are direct drop in?

5. engine managment for these suckers?

6. will the 2.5 NA ecu work with the 1.8 wiring?...

7. anyone who has done a subaru NA to turbo before, anything I should know going in ;-). THanks guys

Rightseat

turbo, schmurbo. do the 2.5 swap

turbo setup on a 1.8 will be a wiring and ECU nightmare. your reliability will SUCK unless you either get the job done professionally (in which case, apply large piles of $$$) or you are willing to undergo R&D on your swap until you get to know your AAA tow guy better than you want to.

Ecksjay ran a 2.5 swap off the stock 1.8 ECU with only minor custom wiring.

if you are dead set on a turbo, drop in a stock WRX rig--subaru engineers worked out all the issues so you don't have to

ruggedman

turbo, schmurbo. do the 2.5 swap

turbo setup on a 1.8 will be a wiring and ECU nightmare. your reliability will SUCK unless you either get the job done professionally (in which case, apply large piles of $$$) or you are willing to undergo R&D on your swap until you get to know your AAA tow guy better than you want to.

Ecksjay ran a 2.5 swap off the stock 1.8 ECU with only minor custom wiring.

if you are dead set on a turbo, drop in a stock WRX rig--subaru engineers worked out all the issues so you don't have to
+1

Car Whore

I think Evan almost did a 1.8 turbo or something.That was his screenname,anyways...sick 1.8t

Personally,I wouldn't bother.I'd also swap in a 2.5 or a 2.0 WRX turbo......Evan has one for sale,actually.

gearsoup

Evan never got around to turbo-ing the 1.8...

The 1.8 turbo is NOT a wiring nightmare. Yes, you need to wire in an E-manage Ultimate. That has been done MANY times. There are plenty of writeups.

THERE IS VERY LITTLE "R&D" TO DO!!!! Do I need to repeat myself? ???

There are stock 1.8t's that are walking stock and modded rex's. There are serious 1.8t's that are walking STI's.....

Evan

1. awesome. 15 psi eeeeasy.

2. no ej18/ea81

3. no, it wont. either subachad brand up/down pipes, or the wrx headers/up pipe with wrx engine cross member.

4. its probably cheaper to get stock nissan silvia injectors. $80 on ebay from someone that upgraded.

5. s-afc converted for MAP, -50%ish during idle and off boost since the injectors are about twice as big.

6. some of it, but it'll probably end up being a obd2 ecu and an obd1 ej18, which dont shake hands well.

7. double your expected budget and you'll be close to what you're going to spend.

ecksjay has my old setup-for-turbo ej18, that i sold when i decided to go with the ej20, that i sold when i decided to go with the ej257. :
default_redface.gif

if you want more than about 8psi (~175hp) you'll need timing control. and at that point its easier and cheaper to get an emanage.

theres a post of wrx stuff i'll be selling in the near future in the for sale section.

Latest posts

Back