1.8l exhaust

scoobiesforlife

ive been searching for a cat back system for my car, but i cant exactly find one that will fit a 1.8l motor...

car is a 1993 impreza 4 door sedan.

any insight will be helpful

thank you

I didn't find one either when I needed a new one. Is yours rusting out? If it is then an exhaust for a WRX can be adapted. If not and you want a bit more volume then a Thrush Turbo muffler works just fine. Myself and a couple other members have run them on the 1.8/2.2 engines. A whole OEM setup with a Thrush is about $200 if you find deals through Advanced Auto or Napa. Check out the thread for my Impreza.

scoobiesforlife

the original owners at some point had cut out the flange between the 2nd cat and the resonator and welded a flex pipe in, so i know im looking into spending some sort of money if i want to do any sort of exhaust.

i do have a pilot "fart can" just chillin in my parents garage...might toss that on the car come warmer weather...after i spray paint it that is

No surprise with that flange, those are a common weak point in the exhaust system. If there is enough pipe still you can have a flange welded on to make it correct again. The napa near me didn't show the part being available but we found one that was close enough that it could be modified. I want to say it was off a Jeep or Bronco(the guy I dealt with has both and had done the repair before).

scoobiesforlife

i think either way im going to buy a new cat and resonator pipe, if i could afford it, id put new headers and primary cat as well, but budget wise, its really only 2nd cat and resonator when the time comes, ive already patched an exhaust leak around the hanger on the resonator pipe, used a permatex exhaust patch goo...it worked well, but then again i coated the damn thing

spring time will bring much needed attention to my car...rust repair, struts, wheels&tires, pass cv axel...maybe a couple other things.

Check with me when you go to do that cv axel. I have 2 spares kicking around. They are the correct ones for the FWD trans

Last edited by a moderator:
30 min... I'm down by Bath. Would be cheap as well. If everything works in my favor for my rallyx build I won't have a need for them.

scoobiesforlife

keep me updated, im definitely interested in the cv axels and possibly any other fwd parts you might have, im also trying to eventually get a hold of the rs/outback sport hood, grill and headlights, i miss the scoop from my old outback and a smooth hood is getting plain

scoobiesforlife

but back to the main point of this topic, is there any exhaust for other year imprezas that could work on a 93? with the flanges matching up as well as the hangers? i really dont want to go a custom route, im not big into the tuning or mods list (for now), the only mod my car has is an aftermarket radio. so id like to try and keep it simple and use bolt on stuff.

Any exhaust off a pre 01 impreza will work. Not sure on the fitment of other models or later years. You can buy a borla catback on Amazon but it is $460. If you want a 95% fab free install then buy a new resonator pipe and what is called an extension pipe. The extension pipe is an axle back without a muffler. Choose your own and clamp it on. If you want it solid make a quick hanger that attaches to the outlet of the muffler.

This cost me roughly $200.

4fpHL.jpg

scoobiesforlife

damn, i might have to go that route, and then if i go take it somewhere for a sticker and they dont like the muffler or something, i can always have a stock muffler on hand and slap that on before a sticker

smelt240

On my 2.2 OBS (1997)  I took my old 04 WRX cat back, cut the flange off, made one that matched the 2.2 exhaust from 3/16 plate, welded it at the right angle, and bolted it up.  Sounded great til I did some rally action, and loosened up my headpipe.  It growls a bit, but isn't really loud at all.  Mine will be coming off soon for other repairs, if you want to see how its made.  I can build the flanges for next to nothing, if you need one. it takes 25 mins with a hole saw and my chop saw, but now I have plasma power! (and need to build things to justify having it...)

Latest posts

Back