148MPH STI Track Crash

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
http://jalopnik.com/5508659/does-a-wrx-sti-really-need-a-wing-at-148-mph-you-bet-it-does

http://jalopnik.com/5508659/does-a-wrx-sti-really-need-a-wing-at-148-mph-you-bet-it-does
500x_wingfail-500px.jpg

Going 70 on the highway, will a big-ass wing on your Subaru make a performance difference? Sorry, no. How about if you're heading into the esses at VIR without realizing your ex-big-ass wing has just failed? Uh-oh…

It turns out that you need plenty of downforce on a WRX STI's rear wheels when you're pushing 150 on the race track, and Bad Things happen when your carbon-fiber wing goes AWOL without letting you know. We're happy to report that the STI pilot walked away from the wreck, though we're still shedding a few few tears for the poor car. The tale of Subaru racer Phil Grabow's not-so-happy adventure in Virginia may be read over at the NASIOC forums; here's an excerpt:

With the new engine tuned we headed off to the second round of the NASA season at Virginia International Raceway. One of the major changes we made to the chassis was to have taller wing supports made so we could get the rear APR wing up into clean air in hopes of gaining down force. We also had added a rear diffuser to the flat panel underneath the car. After running at minimum power for practice and scrubbing in new tires the car felt great and the power delivery was awesome.
As we headed out for time session one disaster struck on the first lap! I was taking it easy to get the tires up to temperature but as I exited turn 6-7 the carbon wing structurally failed between the air foil and the mount. Not knowing this I entered the uphill esses at around 148 mph and this is what happened.
[video=youtube;_LnmD7kxHUw]
This was posted over in another thread when people questioned the function of the OEM wing.

At least the dude was alright, sucks about the car.

02 WRX Chris

Ouch.....that sucks! Nothing he could have done about that.....

Kristof

Banned
lol a wing you get from pep boys supplies downforce too dosent mean its a great wing as far as functionality. any car needs downforce at 150mph and yes the stock wing supplies some downforce but its not optimal. if you look at the bulk of the race teams with sti's ( not the weekend warriors) they have replaced the stock wing with something lighter more functional and a lot of times adjustable

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
They also replace the wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, engine cooling, strip the interior and add a fuel cell (I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot more). An STi is not a race car, it's just a really good start.

Apollyon12

See the spike that was left after the steering wheel broke?

I wouldn't want that getting stuffed into my leg.

I assume that it was his legs hitting the wheel that caused it to break.

And the corner he lost it on was not what you would consider a hard turn, just a little bend in the road.

Obviously not at 144mph though.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
don't think it was driver's LEGS that broke the wheel, it was more likely him with a death grip on the wheel when he took big hit while going off. I bet his arms and writs wuz a bit dis-comfy for a while after that incident.

and no, it wasn't a "hard turn" as you might imagine it, tho at flat-out race speed any bend can build serious g's. what got him was sudden loss of rear grip, and poof WHAMWHAM hello Mr Wall.

Evan

don't think it was driver's LEGS that broke the wheel, it was more likely him with a death grip on the wheel when he took big hit while going off. I bet his arms and writs wuz a bit dis-comfy for a while after that incident.
he let go of the steering wheel when he knew he had already lost it and before he hit the wall, just as he should have. probably saved breaking all his fingers.

i wonder what APR has to say about their wing. they said they used modified mounts but they didnt say who made them, apr or not.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
ouch.

the safety stuff works.

to go that far for a sedan, or hatch...adding a wing..

damn. they could just run a raked wagon.
default_frown.gif

I speak from a 165 in a 3400 pound car.

It's that coupe manly look thing I guess..to hell with engineering.

JoshP

I think that had more to do with the car not reacting how he was expecting it because of the wing missing.

EliteJDM2nr

Unfortunately anything you skimped on as far as Suspension Tuning or downforce is usually what bites you in the ass!!!! Unfortunately a driver with a little more experience and a better feel for a Loss of traction situation would of been all over that before total loss of controll!! NO OFFENSE!! Next time be ready.. Practice on snow can do wonders!!! Dont give up even the best have made those mistakes, its what you do next time that counts<ie.-Handbrake to stop rear momentum, Steer right, throttle down, release handbrake and powerover. Practice DRIFTING even if you dont intend to DRIFT competitively, That kind of car controll might save your life next time..
default_additional_unamused.gif
default_smile.png
default_cool.png
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back