1991 Lexus Ls400

GClark

"Pre-eminence means creativity, not imitation. It means using all the technologies and approaches of the present, not the criteria of the past. In meeting these challenges, the Lexus LS400 stands supreme as the foremost luxury saloon of its generation."

For sale is the car, nay, champion, that started it all for the luxury brand Lexus. The LS400 was the first Lexus, and arguably the best. Back in the 80's, Toyota pumped 1 Billion dollars(!) into the development of the LS. Its job was to put Lexus on the map, and show that the Japanese can produce a luxury car that could rival the luxury heavyweight, BMW and Mercedes. What they produced was the LS400. Powered by the 4.0 L 1UZ-FE V8, the LS400 produced 250hp and 260tq all to the rear wheels, and is good for several hundred thousand miles. Search craiglist, most of the Ls's have way over 200k. Almost none are being parted out because the engine failed.

Now my car, 1991 Lexus LS400.

Mileage: 104,xxx

Color: Light Blue

Interior: Blue/grey

Pros:

Low Mileage, 104k is barely broken in

Lots of receipts/paperwork for work done, all major services are up to date

Clean interior

Leather is in very good condition. Only wear is on the driver seat, look at the attached pictures.

Instrument Panel completely lights up, usually a common problem for LS's.

Runs great

Stops great

Only rust I've seen is a 1 1/1in line on the fender, see pics. Never seen a Maine winter! I've seen it up on a lift, undercarriage is clean.

Sunroof doesn't leak, windows all work, radio sounds great, all lights work.

Currently stickered until the end of the month, then I'll renew it.

Only 3 owners, me, who owned it for a total of 3 months, an older Greek man who it owned for a year, and a spry young lady who bought it brand new when she was 65 and sold it in 2011 when she turned 85.

Engine was clean when I got it, still clean.

Shifts Great

Still have original first aid, everything in it

Same with Lexus tool kit and face towel, never used(!)

Newer front tires.

A/C heat work perfectly.

Ever driven a LS? Has the best steering feel of any car I've driven, its too easy. Parking is a breeze. And its extremely quiet on the road, thanks to, "Some 300 technological innovations to aid smooth operation and silence,including fluid-damped cabin fixtures,vibration-insulating rubber mounts,airflow fairings,and sandwich steel body panels" 0-60 8.5 seconds, not to shabby for a big luxury car, passing on the highway is effortless. Gas mileage is good too, I was getting in the middle 20's around town, and high 20's on the highway. Just drive with lightfoot.

I love the little things in this car: the tilting headrests, little sun visor between the big ones, lights on all the doors, upper leg vent for the air. Amazing. Instrument panel is one of the best I've seen.

Cons:

Valves have a slight tick. Normal for a first gen LS, see here:http://us.lexusowner...showtopic=15338 , http://www.clublexus...-it-normal.html Basically it won't hurt the engine, but it would nice to have it quiet again.

First owner, kept everything clean and kept the car up on maintenance, but wasn't the best driver. Dent on the rear corner, scratches on a few spots, but overall is in good condition. See pics.

Slight wear on the drivers seat bolster, see pics.

Slight vibration when cruising at highway speed, $75 alignment will cure it.

HVAC panel doesn't light up unless it's hot out. doesn't affect the controls however. Common Ls problem, vendors on ebay can fix it.

Trac light comes every once in a while, doesn't affect anything.

Clear is peeling on the drivers fender, thanks first owner.

Now then, check out the review on Top Gear:

Old Top Gear Lexus LS400 & GS300 - YouTube

On cars.com:

http://www.cars.com/lexus/ls-400/1991/

More specs:

4 speed auto transmission

Traction Control

22.5 gallon fuel tank

Moon Roof

Heated Leather Seats(work great)

Keyless entry

Premium sound(comes stock with a subwoofer)

Automatic tilt steering wheel(when you take the key out)

Automatic tinted rearview

Fog lights

Why do you want to buy this car?

Simple. It's an beautiful luxury machine packed with features, more than most new cars. Your neighbors will be jealous. Your friends will be jealous(its got a v8! JDM!) and they'll love how comfortable the seats are. Mom's; this car is wicked safe and reliable, airbag and all. Your grandparents will be jealous, this car rides so smooth. This isn't a wimpy Smart car, it's a big car that will won't disintegrate when hit. Ride in confidence.

Reason for selling?

I would like a motorcycle. Trades welcome.

More gloating:

"Notable examples of awards received by the Lexus LS include (1991) Canadian Car of the Year(and the Canadians know what they're talking aboot!), Wheels Car of the Year,and Top Gear Limousine of the Year.The Lexus LS has been the highest-rated luxury car in Automobile Magazine,Car and Driver,Consumer Reports,Fleet World,and MotorWeek. In J.D. Power's long-term Vehicle Dependability Study, the Lexus LS has been the most reliable car for fifteen consecutive years, the most for any manufacturer,and Consumer Reports has ranked the sedan as the most reliable vehicle tested. Safety awards include Auto Bild's 2007 Innovation Prize for the LS 460 pre-collision system,consecutive first place rankings in the What Car? Security Supertest, and Kiplinger's "Best in Safety for Cars $40,000 and Over".Technical honors range from Ward's 10 Best Engines, and Edmunds.com's "Best Sound System in Cars Over $30,000".

Shoot me an email, text, or call with any questions,

207-212-1525.

Asking 1700.

Check out all my additional pictures here:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzq2tXN

My sources: http://www.lexls.com/info/

wikipedia.org

thegoogle

Thanks,

Garrett

Last edited by a moderator:

GClark

Jumping ship to Lexus? Good choice, completely different than a Subaru. I love mine

Just let me know!

GClark

High 20s on the highway, 18-20 in the city. Big price drop, I want it gone before I leave for WA.

Latest posts

Back