1st factory turbo car?

Rightseat

OK, runnah's "1st factory Honda Turbo" thread got me thinking...

(caution: history quiz coming up)

what was the very first, Numero Uno, premiere, never-before-seen, factory turbo car? and tell us what year!

winner gets a free Corvette*

a) Saab 99

default_wink.png
Porsche 930

c) Renault R5 Turbo

d) none of the above (OK, so what wazzit?)

DG

PS--the answer may surprise y'all

* picture, that is

KTurner

D...

must of been by accident.

Although the Saab 99 is the popular pioneer. at least in my book.

-Kturner

Evan

the covair had one back in the 60's. rear motor 180hp turbo. looked like a typical 60's family car.

edit for more info:

RMJWV8UEUWGI.jpg

njace_wall_2001_RibbleTurbo.jpg

1965 chevy corvair corsa.

p.s. (random car tidbit i know) the engine mounts would rust out on these and the motor would fall through the trunk into the ground. chevy :
default_wink.png

Impreza05

the covair had one back in the 60's. rear motor 180hp turbo. looked like a typical 60's family car.

edit for more info:

RMJWV8UEUWGI.jpg

p.s. (random car tidbit i know) the engine mounts would rust out on these and the motor would fall through the trunk into the ground. chevy :
default_wink.png
My brother had one of those in high school, brakes were also a charm.

Evil Jeff

edit for more info:

RMJWV8UEUWGI.jpg

p.s. (random car tidbit i know) the engine mounts would rust out on these and the motor would fall through the trunk into the ground. chevy

Joe WRX

Actually look what I found on this website: http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-automotive-superlatives

First turbocharged car - 1962 Oldsmobile F-85 Turbo Jetfire and Chevrolet Corvair flat-6 (Saab was the first manufacturer to put turbochargers in production cars, after the short-lived 1962 General Motors A-bodies.)

So, there was two first cars in the same year. (Now we just need to know which had a model off the line first.)

Check out the website - it's pretty cool for random auto facts.

Rightseat

excellent research, all

Corvair Monza Spyder is generally recognized as Turbo Numero Uno. Didn't last long, The General didn't really have the technical cojones to make it stick in the marketplace. Evidently the Monza made an impression, even in the STM family tho! My grandmother had a gold one, and loved to pass people with the top down and her long grey hair streaming out behind as she blew off the unsuspecting.

I had a Corvair in college. Cost $150, kind of a cool car in its own way. The drill was to pull into a service station..."fill the oil and check the gas, please..."

Dave G

Evil Jeff

Actually look what I found on this website: http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-automotive-superlatives

First turbocharged car - 1962 Oldsmobile F-85 Turbo Jetfire and Chevrolet Corvair flat-6 (Saab was the first manufacturer to put turbochargers in production cars, after the short-lived 1962 General Motors A-bodies.)

So, there was two first cars in the same year. (Now we just need to know which had a model off the line first.)

Check out the website - it's pretty cool for random auto facts.
If I remember correctly, the Jetfire was just a prototype, it was never actually put into production, that's why I didn't include it.

Rightseat

Porsche 911 Turbo aka 930 was first factory turbo car launched onto mass market, 1976. very limited production first couple of years.

Saab 99 Turbo was the car that actually popularized turbos, starting 76 Europe, 78 in US mkt

I had a 1980 900 Turbo, with water injection, dial-a-boost, progressive sport springs and konis. Pirelli P6 tires 205/60-15 were total hawtness for the day. Boost would dial up to 18 libs (7 stock) and if the water injection tank went dry, it would detonate so bad you could feel it thru the steering wheel. My buddy at work had a 99 Turbo with similar adj boost, and for some reason his motor blew up!? Mine lunched its cylinder head eventually...was a great car even so.

DG

Latest posts

Back