2.5 auto to 5 speed swap

Zachp

Okay I have a 1998 legacy outback with a 2.5 and it was an automatic but I the blew the final drive for the front, so I want to do a 5 speed swap. I was wondering if a 2.2 5 speed tranny would bolt up to my 2.5?

Zachp

Haha not sure who that is. a guy that works at evergreen subaru is auburn told me about this forum so Im new if any of you can get his attention for me id really like to know

sooch

Type-RA
I have a 5 spd box and rear diff if you would like to buy it. no grinds no slipping, good clutch. this tranny will bolt right up to the motor. pm me if you are interested.

Zachp

I was told by the guy at evergreen that he just did one and he said it isn't that hard since some of these cars already came with it.

Mighty Subie

If you wanted to do it on your own: EXTREMELY hard if you have never done anything like this. I say that because the engine and trans might resist coming apart and you'll have to not only swap out the trans, but the linkage and pedals and so on. If you decide that you really want to do it though, and have a donor car, it is totally do-able. Really, most things are able to happen if you put forth enough time and effort.

If you do decide to do this on your own, or with some friends that help, or whatever the situation is, the NUMBER ONE RULE is: talk to someone (like inski from evergreen if that is who you are talking about. he is a mechanic there) who knows and make a list. Triple check the list and make sure you have everything, and you will probably still end up missing something anyway. Nothing will ruin your day more than slapping it all back together and realizing that you are missing some small part that you didn't know you needed and now it all has to come back apart.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Any EJ series motor bolts up to any EJ series transmission.

You have to match your transmission final drive gear ratio with your rear end gear ratio.

The RS thread linked above might be your best bet. You'll need to get the gearbox, clutch pedal assembly, all the hydro or cable clutch parts, jump the ECU pin or get a different ECU, wire up your reverse and netural switches, etc etc.

Zachp

Yeah I read that article, and honestly it doesn't look that hard, but when I do the tranny swap its also getting a motor swap, its still gonna be a 2.5 but a new one. but if anyone is interested in helping me in the next couple months id be appreciative. I just need to buy all the stuff first

Latest posts

Back