2.5 rs.. MORE HP?

Dan

Okay so I've asked for a lot of help on my car on here and everyones ideas have helped me a ton so thank you but I've made a decision not to bother to get into turboing it and just try and gain hp other ways.. Like a cold air and full exhaust should gain about 20? But still want to gain another 50... Can it be done? Anything at all I'm open to.. Except a turbo of course. I've probably going to be takin a loan out for an sti in the near future anyway so I wanna get this thing as quick as a stock wrx. HELP

Matt

yep...cams, exhaust, intake, cat delete and a computer flash, crawford performance offers a few diff levels.

If you're not familiar with the RS Reflash, it's close to your only option for tuning the ECU of your beloved 99-02 RS. We have 4 flashes based on your modifications:

SRS-10: 6500 rev-limit / horsepower gains of 5-10 and torque gains of 5-10 over stock.

For a completely stock RS.

SRS-19: 6500 rev-limit / horsepower gains of 10-15 and torque gains of 10-15 over stock / for use with CA 91-octane or HIGHER. Car must have the following modifications:

Headers

High-flow cat

Torque box

3" intake

SRS-20: 6500 rev-limit / horsepower gains of 15-20 and torque gains of 15-20 over stock / for use with CA 91-octane or HIGHER. Car must have the following modifications:

Headers

CATLESS exhaust

Torque box

3" intake

SRS-30: 6900 rev-limit / horespower gains of 25-30 and torque gains of 15-30 over stock / for use with CA 91-octane or HIGHER. Car must have the following modifications:

Cams (Delta, Street, other)

Headers

High flow OR catless exhaust

Torque Box

3" Intake

might not get you 50 but prob close

GREASEMONKEY

--Powered By A.D.H.D.--
this^^^^^^^^ and the only other help is "lightweight go fast parts" like pulleys and flywheel. plus any slop you can tighten up in your suspension will let you feel and use the power you have.

sooch

Type-RA
if your buying an sti why do you need this power? keep it as a reliable dd, so if there are ANY problems with the hellaflush supertyte STi, you know you can count on your rs. Just my .02...

In regards to more HP, Matt pretty much covered it lol. And like greasemonkey said, tighten up the suspension. If you can make the car more "solid" its going to move through turns at faster speeds and easier, straight lines get boring...

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Dear Dan,

What mods have you made to the driver control software unit??
default_cool.png

$$ spent on driver training > $$ spent on trying to make a good car go a lil faster.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
The ROI on sucks on NA 2.5 power mods. For what you'd spend on trying to wring out the car, you could sell the RS and buy a bugeye wrx.

Matt

Dear Dan,

What mods have you made to the driver control software unit??
default_cool.png

$$ spent on driver training > $$ spent on trying to make a good car go a lil faster.

maybe he doesn't do rally or autocross so being a better driver may not be important....maybe he does drag racing or just wants the most out of this car simply because its HIS car.......

if you want to build your car to be a little faster I say do it....I encourage it simply because its your car and its cool to me to see what people can do with what theyve got....but by all means if you want to spend the money on a driving school I say do it as well...you might learn something, you might not.

end rant.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
and exactly what sort of logic justifies the concept of "being a better driver is not important" ??!!
default_unsure.png
:unsure:

and anybody who says "you might learn something you might not" at a good driving school sounds kinda like they might be rationalizing as to why they've not made any sort of investment in their own driving skills.

/counter-rant/ [[peace sign smiley goes here]]]

bottom line is, the RS 2.5 is difficult and expensive to hop up much...Subaru engineers are basically getting everything out of the engine that can be expected (with long-term reliability, anyway). If you're not prepared to trade up to a WRX or STI , the best way to get more out of a good 2.5 is to make some basic hardware upgrades AND learn to drive it better.

If adding hardware is what you really wanna do, then here's some priorities

#1 upgrade--better tires (more grip = lets u carry more speed thru turnz. tarmac tires, snow tires, gravel tires, whatever is best suited to what you wanna do)

#2 upgrade--suspension (carry more speed if car doesn't have to slow down so much thru turns)

#3 upgrade--brakes (carry more speed longer b4 having to slow down for turns, etc)

bottom bottom line--even so, ya can't really expect to make the most of the above mods if the driver's skills aren't up to the task.

Matt

I'm just saying if he doesn't do any sort of competitive driving what's the point of taking a class to make you a better driver if he may never use the skills. Its like having a 1000 hp car and just driving in town Portland. I don't know his plans for sure but it's just in general.

Im not really into the dirt scene and actually like road racing a lot. I would imagine a very good school could teach you a lot about braking and turn in and setup and what not. You may learn something and you may not, I just think getting out there an driving it is the best way to go and having a school to possible refine the skills you may or may not have might pay off and it may not. You could just suck at driving!!!

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Drop extra weight from the car. Byebye carpets, a/c system... I've done this and more to many a dd.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
how about you keep the rs the way it is(not spend money) and save the money to put down towards the sti you want. Better financing that way, and once you get the sti, you can use the money you save each month to buy performance parts for that.

my .02

Dan

First, I want to say thanks for everyones input.. it finally made me decide on what I want to do with the rs.. drvsdws- you make a very good point if I plan to get an sti anyway! and dan to.. I could spend all this money into it and coulda bought a wrx. So I'm just going to do little things to it.. keep it running strong and reliable like sooch said, that way if in the future if something happened to the sti.. the rs would be ready for the roads again. And the driving skills part.. don't really need any schooling.. I have been racing at oxford plains for ten years my grandfather raced in daytona 500s. Its in my blood haha but maybe the rs should be turned into a rally car? I need more of a challenge anyway. I've been getting more into rally more and more. some other things though.. I was gonna get it tinted soon anywaythough which I think ill still do, does anyone know where? Thanks guys!

sooch

Type-RA
portland tint is a good place, I don't know about prices but I had a friend work there. they do some pretty good work. RALLY IT!! Make sure you have another car to back you up when you rally lol (I think that's obvious). When your rs somehow wraps around a tree and you have no dd, that's gunna be a bad walk back...

Latest posts

Back