2.5 rs wrx swap help..

kblood477

I have a 2000 Subaru rs and I have an 05 wrx motor that is going in it pretty much all stock . I have the wrx harness and getting a stock wrx ecu .. whats my best option for either merging harness's or what ever is easiest . Im not very good with the engine management side of things . so any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

thanks for anything you guys can help me with .

Matt

Just pay someone to swap it so you know it's done right. I think it's like 500 bucks or something.

sooch

Type-RA
talk to I-wire on rs25.com. hes the guy to go to. ya you wont learn, but he does it in 2 days and everything is garunteed.... really good guy, hes the guy im going to when my time comes!

Iboc_C64

I thought there was a thread I saw a while back, thought it was here but maybe elsewhere. It said you need to have the ignition switch and ECU to match, otherwise it won't start. There was also a list of other stuff it needed about a mile long and something like $5000 invested ot make it work. My brother and I asked the question of doing a WRX swap a while back and I decided to encourage him to just Tune Up the 2.5DOHC N/A engine hes got in it becuase I don't want the added stress. If he wants to do it, I don't want to help because everyone here makes it sound like going to hell in a handbag.

Matt

It's a complicated swap. I wouldn't say to not to try it if you have the cash to spend. just be prepared to spend a lot.

Iboc_C64

I would say the only thing that makes doing that to an older model worth it would be the fact that you couldn't buy them new that way, and the older chassis was much lighter. Any Impreza after 2002 though, just buy one that came as a WRX.

Kblood, keep us up to date if you would. I would like to know what you find actually needs to go in to this.

JoshP

Its not that bad of a swap, best way by far to go at it is with a donor car. To piece it together can be a real pita, and more costly. By now its been done a million time, and very well documented online.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Outsource it or start reading on rs25.com.

There's a swap section of rs25, read there for the basic idea, get the service pages for both ecus and dig in. Taiden also has a bunch of videos of his swap, but he did a gc to h6, but the concepts are the same.

Best of luck.

Matt

its a lot more in depth than that.....id honestly shell out the cash and have it swapped.....just my opinion...im a mechanic and id even pay to have it done

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I personally would have someone else do the wiring, but I'm not very confident with car wiring. But if someone wants to tackle it themselves, I say more power to them! There are PLENTY of people that have done it themselves, and plenty that do it on a regular basis. I am sure as long as you follow the write ups and take your time, then you will be fine. I hear all the time that it really isn't that bad to do. I say go for it, take your time, and have fun learning!

OVRBST

Vendor
Call Nick at Holmes Auto. He's in Pepperell Ma. He just did a full STI drivetrain swap in his 2.5. EJ25 with a 6 speed and it's FLAWLESS. He can tell you/help you with anything you need.

Phone: (978) 433-0400

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Hey Alex!

Kenny im doing a wrx/rs swap for someone, and we are outsourcing the wiring, someone who has done 100's of them will be able to do it faster/cheaper then I can, and its going to actually work when it gets plugged back in.

if I were doing it for myself, id do it myself since id have the time to mess with it with no deadline.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
There's a ton of info on RS25; I was going to go the swap route, but decided it to be less costly short term to buy a car that was swapped already. I took my time and didn't settle for some hack job, the car I bought was swapped by a reputable person on those forums, and well maintained. Now, I am building my own car out of an L, which I will eventually swap. I am going to try to do most of it, except the wiring, as I have never been good with that sort of thing. Anyway, go for it and good luck!

WashmyScooby

It sounds like fun! I bet it will be a cool learning experience. If you are close to Gorham, ME I wouldn't mind helping out!

Latest posts

Back