2.5RS Coupe Vs Sedan

roadtrip1098

Alright, I am buying a 2.5RS this week. I'm just not sure which one yet. I am going to look at 2 of them. Both are 5 spd both silver, both have recent maintenance but need various items replaced. For the sake of argument we will say they are in equally good mechanical shape. From my research I know the 2 doors are hard to come by. I also know that the 4 door RS were only made for 2000 and 2001.  The 2 door is a 99 and the 4 door is a 2000, by that, both should have the phase II motor.

2s79nbd.jpg

OR 

10ynmrl.jpg

Any input is appreciated. I've done a lot of looking on forums, but wanted to hear what the Mainely Community has to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

They're exactly the same cars. Just depends if you want to open a door to get in the back or crawl through the front. I personally didn't mind the 2 door when I had mine and I think they just look better myself.

JoshP

I like the '99 wheels better.  If i were driving it regularly I wouldnt want a 2 door again. 

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Sedan in MY 00 has rear limited slip diff, the 99 does not. Sedan body shell is substantially stiffer. Less clunks and body rattles in sedan. Fewer air leaks around windows in sedan vs coupe.

Visonik

I loved my coupe when I had it. It was a beater but it was still a blast. Either one will be good for you, it's really up to personal preference and deciding if you need the convenience of the extra doors. 

roadtrip1098

I'm so on the fence about these it's not even funny. I like both, I think the style, regardless of number of doors, is one of the best Subaru has ever had. I guess it will all come down to bottom dollar and carfax reports. Right now the coupe is $400 cheaper, but had an accident 230k ago (if that even counts). I'm leaning slightly towards the coupe only because I already have a 2006 STi if I need 4 doors.... the knowledge of an LSD in the 4 door though complicates things. Either way I'll be sure to post pics when I buy one.

roadtrip1098

Oh and my long term, completely unresearched, and not well thought out plan is to buy and build an EJ20TT and modify the manifold to so it'll work in a LHD car. There's one on ebay right now with the 6spd tranny, ecu, turbos, ect for $1200.   So saving a bit on the initial price is crucial.

urabusturbo

sedan>2 door. I had a 00 2dr and I was not a fan of how big and clunky the doors were. Also, I would avoid the jdm twin turbo motor. They are a vacuum hose nightmare and have the " valley of death" power band, they can be changed to a single but its easier to just get a ej20g like sooch did.

roadtrip1098

Looking like the sedan if the price comes down a bit and is closer to what I'm looking to spend. No accidents and better maintenance records.  

sooch

Type-RA
sedan>2 door. I had a 00 2dr and I was not a fan of how big and clunky the doors were. Also, I would avoid the jdm twin turbo motor. They are a vacuum hose nightmare and have the " valley of death" power band, they can be changed to a single but its easier to just get a ej20g like sooch did.
Agreed on pretty much everything, except i have the "more unreliable" ej20k as some people like to tell me on various media sources like Facebook and rs25.

-ej20g can be had for like $1000

-ej20k can be had for like $1300 +50hp~

After having both I personally think the 2 door is fun if you like to get looks at a stop light. The sedan is more for those looking to go under the radar with the same great chassis. Both cars are a lot of fun, regardless if you have a swap or not.

Vecken

4 door, practicality in a fun sports car can't be beat. Also, I have the exact same drivetrain in my 00 forester, the LSD DOES make a difference when you get it sideways. The better maintenance records would win me over on the $400 difference, you're gonna spend way more than that fixing all the little screwups you find.

my friend Mike has a 97 with an sti swap, and a 95 coupe. There's a reason why the sti swap went into the sedan instead.

Also, go with the one with less body rot, unless you like welding burns because good luck doing body work for cheap unless you're good at it yourself.

roadtrip1098

I'm decent at mechanical and body stuff, so fixing things is basically down to the cost of parts. One is going to need brakes, struts and touch up paint, the other is going to need an O2 sensor, maybe a cat and touch up paint. If I get in too deep I also have a body guy and an engine guy. As of right now it's all down to price and how nice or bad the first one I look at is. Both of them are about 20% above KBB 'excellent' condition, so if you have one you've been thinking about selling, I guess now is the time to charge a premium for it.

Latest posts

Back