2000 2.5RS Constant Hesitation

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
To me total loss of power over 4000 rpm is fuel pressure or volume too low, camshaft timing off, plugged cat... Can't remember all you said have been done to car, generally speaking these are things I would verify.

Iboc_C64

Ok guys, my brother finally got this thing in the shop and had the O2 sensors changed. One of them was stripped out and they both were bad. The car runs a million time better now. It starts on the first try, idles fine and has gobs of power right up through 6000rpm. I think it's still got some little quirks but changing those sensors went a long way. It drives like a Subaru now!

I have a new issue to ask about now though. His shifter was really mushy so for Christmas we bought him all the shifter upgrade parts available from Turn In Concepts. This included the Kartboy Short Shift Lever, the Kartboy front and rear Shifter Stay Bushings, the Lever Pivot Bushings. I tried to get the linkage update, but they were sold out so I bought a rebuilt one from another forum member here that used nylon replacement bushings. Seemed almost as good. Anyway we had all the parts installed today by my favorite mechanic and the shifter feels better, but still has about 1 inch or more of side to side slop when a gear is engaged. Is this normal for this car? It seems like it should have been at least as stiff as my 2009 WRX shifter which has yet to recieve lever pivot bushings or the linkage bushings. My 2009 has about 1/8th of an inch of play when a gear is engaged for comparison. Anyone on here have any Ideas? Maybe I should start a new thread for this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Iboc_C64

Yup, you were right! Like I said, that one had to re-tapped because it was half stripped. That and the O2 sensor was garbage anyway. These sensors aren't cheap, that's for sure. I think they were over $100 apiece. Anyway Matt aside from Winning, does your shifter feel like I am describing? You have the same year and model still right?

Matt

its a 2000 I have a short throw in it but still stock bushings......it doesn't move that much at all while in gear

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Add'l wear point in shifter is the pin that affixes shifter knuckle ass'y to trans shift rod. Mine is very sloppy, more so than even the worn knuckle. Not sure if prob results from a worn/bent pin, ovaled-out hole in shifter rod...or both. Will know more after whacking the effer apart to see whaz up.

Iboc_C64

Good to know, thanks Nigel. Was this car sloppy when you owned it? It may not be that far fetched considering that if yours is worn, that this one may have seen similar wear. The front to back slop has been reduced to 1/8th inch. Same as my WRX is front to back. Its just floppy from side to side. At least its much harder to miss a shift now. Holy crap is this thing fun to drive!

Iboc_C64

Oh and thanks for the second reply Matt. Knowing this isn't normal gives me reason to keep looking for the cause!

inski

All those knuckles/joints go bad, get sloppy, and even vibrate and rattle. I have an 07 in my driveway with a sloppy shifter. Its usually always the knuckle/joint thingy. I made a special roll pin driver just for those pins holding the joint to the shift rod.

With enthusiastic drivers they only last 50k miles. Sooooo much better with a new one in there. Doesn't hurt to pre-soak roll pin and whole area with PB Blaster weeks before. Occasionally that stuff will put up a fight when trying to fix it.

Latest posts

Back