2011 wrx hid flickering

Sam2011wrx

I installed hids on my 2011 wrx but now it flickers so I bought the relay harness and installed that but that didn't fix the issue, does anyone have a solution?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
If your car has DRLs you need to disable that or you'll ruin the ballast.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I don't know.... Your car is 22 years newer than mine.

I know there are guides all over the internet, google it...

i-wagon

If it hasn't changed since 07, there's a module under the hood somewhere with a harness plugged in that says "caution hot" about 2"x2" unplug. But I'm only positive about that for 07's. Just google 2011 wrx drl delete. You're bound to find a tutorial

Iboc_C64

The DRL for our car is under the front bumper on the passenger side. It is a relay box or some sort of thing. Its the only black rectangular box under there with wires coming out of it. Its about 1 1/2" in size and the wires are coming out of just one side, maybe be slightly different on your car because yours is a 2011 and mine is a 2009. Anyway just take off the front bumper, find it, unplug it and wrap the exposed harness connector and empty receptical with black tape or something else insulating. Then zip tie the connector out of the way so it doesn't clatter around. Put the front bumper back on and go. Your flicker should dissapear. I never had the problem because I mostly copied Dan's (RangleyRallyDG's) installation and had the benifit of learning from his lessons learned. That was one of the major ones he showed me. Hopes it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

gakosaurusrex

yes iboc has the right idea, but the box thingy infront of the right wheel is a resistor I believe, it has only two wires coming from it, its about 2"X1"X3" and metal heatsinky lookin, just unplug that and proceed w ibocs instructions.

also do they flicker all the time or just a little bit? it happened w my hid fogs because of a bad pigtail.

WashmyScooby

leave the parking brake 1 click up
default_smile.png
My car came factory with HID headlights and the DRL still works fine.

Iboc_C64

leave the parking brake 1 click up
default_smile.png
My car came factory with HID headlights and the DRL still works fine.
Seems to me that would cause loss of gas mileage and premature E-brake shoe wear. It might not be fully engaged and not causing much friction, but it is still more friction than if you were not engaging it at all. The shoes would probably eventually wear out even if you never used them just because they are always making a light contact with the inside of the rotor, just engaging 1 click tightens the pads wiggle room and breathing space. Just my 2 cents.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
if you put your headlights ON and just leave them there, they won't flicker. then you can take your time finding the relay for the DRL's.

Iboc_C64

As I recall, the problem with the 2008 & 2009 at least was that the HIDs would flicker, whether they be installed as Low Beams, High Beams or Fogs. It was related to some kind of off voltage draw on the DRL reducing voltage to dim the Highbeams but it would also cause any HID ballast to flicker, no matter where it was installed or for what purpose. Even if the headlight switch was ON. The only fix was to disable the DRLs IIRC.

Latest posts

Back