3M 1080 Carbon Fiber Wrap

scubiecraig

Gretsch308 helped me install this a few weekends ago, but because I had messed up around the wiper nozzles with some wrinkles, I didn't want to post pictures just yet. So, I made up a Subaru logo custom sized for my hood to "cover up" the bad areas. I actually trimmed out the wrinkled section, and then placed this over the top as a band-aid. Unless you are looking for it, you really can't tell, and let's face it, I'm not entering any car shows in the future! This car is for me.... and only me... so I like it, and that's that! However, I wanted to get all of your opinions.. do you like it? You can honest, I can take it! I've always loved the look of carbon fiber... but the price is just not in my budget. This was the perfect solution for me. The 3M 1080 Scotchprint brand is in my opinion, the best. It has air release channels so that application is easier, and you don't get wrinkles. The ONLY reason I got wrinkles, was because I didn't remove the windshield wiper nozzles from the hood. If I had, the install would have been perfect. I for some reason couldn't them off though, so I had to lay it down, and then trim around the nozzles, which wasn't ideal. For anyone curious, this cost me $85 in materials, and my own labor (well, Joe's too).

On to the pictures!

photobucket-2412-1336321681785.jpg

photobucket-1196-1336321716341.jpg

GClark

Looks like you did a good job. Im not a fan of random black body parts, it looks like the car was in an accident.

scubiecraig

like it ! good job where you get it ? was thinking of wrapping my hood
Thanks Jamey! I got it from Autovinylsolutions.com. I got a 4' x 5' sheet for $85 shipped. However, I would recommend a 4' x 6' sheet instead. It was actually about 4" too short, but luckily I was able to cut and piece a section underneath my bug guard, which nobody will ever see.

Looks like you did a good job. Im not a fan of random black body parts, it looks like the car was in an accident.
Thanks man! Why do you say the car looks like it has been in an accident out of curiousity? I believe it was from the past owner, however the carfax showed up clear... but we all know carfax isn't really all it's cracked up to be. There is a big scrape on the rear passenger side wheelwell, and the front bumper is missing some clips so it pokes out a bit in the passenger side front wheelwell.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
Nice job, that's a lot of patience right there. To be honest, I don't like the carbon fiber look, it reminds me of fast and the bi curious, actual weight reduction or not, BUT to each his own. I will say that the Subaru decal thing along the spray nozzles came out really well for a screw up.

Thanks man! Why do you say the car looks like it has been in an accident out of curiousity? I believe it was from the past owner, however the carfax showed up clear... but we all know carfax isn't really all it's cracked up to be. There is a big scrape on the rear passenger side wheelwell, and the front bumper is missing some clips so it pokes out a bit in the passenger side front wheelwell.
When a car is involved in a collision and the same color panel isn't sourced, a body shop (or whoever) will (should) primer it before it get's painted. I think that's what he meant, but I'm only speculating. Mis-matched panels is a dead giveaway for poor driving, which is why my past two cars have been spray bombed. Multiple times. Or maybe, I just enjoy hucking it off the road into snow banks.
default_additional_sillylol.gif
P.S. those hella's and the stone shields are sick...

Last edited by a moderator:

GClark

Oh no not your car, well actually your car, but not in sense that you were actually in an accident. Black hoods, fenders, etc, look like replacement parts that haven't been painted after an accident.

scubiecraig

Thanks Rick! I wish they were actually working.... I think the relay is shot. I have to continue troubleshooting, but it's not really high on my list of things to do right now! At least they look good though!

Oh no not your car, well actually your car, but not in sense that you were actually in an accident. Black hoods, fenders, etc, look like replacement parts that haven't been painted after an accident.
I gotcha. I can see your point of view. I'm hoping down the road that the roof and the trunk will be wrapped too. Not sure if it will be this summer or not, but I'm going for a whole black and gray "stealth" theme. I'm actually thinking of repainting my rims gunmetal instead of the bronze to complete the look.

Black hoods, fenders, etc, look like replacement parts that haven't been painted after an accident.
I take offence to this comment
default_smile.png
I can't justify buying an $18 can of paint to color match my $50 hood on my $800 car. Black hood isn't anything bad, multiple panels gets a bit out of hand.

$85 for just the hood. Could probably do a coupe for $400.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gretsch308

This is high quality vinyl! I really like how it looks! Definitely a 2 or 3 person job. Also remove the spray nozzles first! Lessons learned! :up:

Latest posts

Back