4th Gear Grind!

Nicklaus220

I was driving to New Hampshire on Friday and found my car doesn't like to go from 3rd to 4th or 5th to 4th gear while at high rpm. 60+mph. while the car is below 60 shifting through all gears is a breeze. I own an 02 wrx and have heard the trannys suck. Is it going or do you think i just might need fluid. I'm a soon to be college kid and can't afford a tranny. I dont know what to do.
default_smile.png

Please Help

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Check your tranny fluid level first. If it's low top off.

You could change it and see if there's any shavings or bits in the oil, some new fluid may solve it...

Or it might be right out straight...

I can't really tell ya, that's just the first two things I'd do. Resident "people who know what they're actually doing" will have better/righter answers.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Just make sure you aren't speed shifting, you should be able to shift with 2 fingers. I know it's fun sometimes to get on it through the gears, but I would try taking it easy on it. Mine grinds from 3rd to 4th, but only when I try to shift real fast. See if that helps??!!

Ryan

The 02 WRX transmissions have very glassy gears. The synchros are also very weak. Are you using Subaru trans fluid (GL-5)?. This stuff definitely doesn't have enough "slip" for the 02 WRX gear box from what I've learned from experience. I would switch to either Redline shockproof lightweight or Motul and you should notice a difference.

02 WRX Chris

Yea....ive had the same problem. Ive changed the fluid once and that didn't help. Ive talked to Mike about it and he says there not much you can do about them unless you get the Legacy B gear set or do a 6 speed swap! Its just gona keep on grinding if you go with the OEM gears.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
...my car doesn't like to go from 3rd to 4th or 5th to 4th gear while at high rpm. 60+mph. ... I own an 02 wrx and have heard the trannys suck. ... I'm a soon to be college kid and ....I dont know what to do.
default_tongue.png

Please Help

you ARE pushing clutch all the way to the floor ain't ya?
default_smile.png

Can anyone tell me why the supposedly notoriously bad WRX trannies seem to have more problems in the hands of younger drivers??

diabloadsit

Nigel. I am not saying I am just saying. lol. That the trannies do suck donkey ba..... Yes some of it may have to be from the driving. But, search the net and everyone from multiple ages have problems with these things. They just suck nuff said.

Like stated above I would try changing fluids first. I doubt they will 100% help because it sounds like your 4th gear syncro is about to go,but hey you never know.

Like stated above also, try shifting into it easy and then into it hard. I know on my old car if I would go easy should would pop into gear nice on 3rd gear with higher revs but If I tried to jam it then should would put up a fight. The 3rd gear syncro was the problem there.

Nicklaus220

well if this is any help, when i try the two finger technique thank you (bratman18) there is a drastic change. From my normal shifting there is scrape. from the two fingers there is a small very small bite. I hope this is good news.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Sounds like you will be fine. Just take it easy. Even when you are really getting on it, just shift into 4th slowly. That's usually what I do. And glad I could help

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
like i told my gf when i was teaching her how to drive a standard with my car, if it doesn't want to go in gear it doesn't want to go. You dont need to apply a lot of pressure to engage the gear. Its when you do the quick shifting and forcing it in when it does this and grinds.

People talk smack about this tranny but it really isn't that bad. Its not a race car(although at times it feels like it) and that's why the tranny is the way it is. If you wanted to throw it quicker, should have gotten an sti...or swap for an sti tranny(i really want to do this!)

Smiththers

while mine is only an OBS and i don't shift fast, you cant bang these things through the gears like i could with even my old Geo prizm/Corolla... weird i guess, but doesn't seem to change acceleration much

Latest posts

Back