6 speed swap

Smiththers

are there any ways to swap a 6spd tranny into a non turbo impreza, 2010? not that i even have the money for such a thing....

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Anything is possible with money, but on a brand new car non-turbo it's not even worth it. So much other cool stuff you could buy instead.

Nate

Founding Father
Oh there is SO much out there. Basically anything in the suspension category available for the 08+ WRX will work on your car. Just about any exhaust will work also.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Tires. Dedicated winter tires are twenty tons of fun. If you care to get into autocross or rallycross, summers or gravels.

I'm sure someone who knows the new cars will chime in with what sway bars, exhaust, etc; will fit.

You're not going to break the 5speed anytime soon.

EDIT: damn nate beat me ^^^

Smiththers

i will def look into getting winter tires, but im probly not going to mod the suspension much if at all. I dont really like to push the car hard through turns, just how i am i guess. I like how it rides and if the subaru website isn't lying, i have a slightly higher ride than the impreza 2.5i. I do however like the idea of swaping the exhaust sometime for something a little more noisey but not crazy loud. most anything that gets changed will probly be only after it needs fixin'.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
i will def look into getting winter tires, but im probly not going to mod the suspension much if at all. I dont really like to push the car hard through turns, just how i am i guess. I like how it rides and if the subaru website isn't lying, i have a slightly higher ride than the impreza 2.5i. I do however like the idea of swaping the exhaust sometime for something a little more noisey but not crazy loud. most anything that gets changed will probly be only after it needs fixin'.
Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Also, another thing to look into is mudflaps. If your car didn't come with them, Subaru has a stock set, or there are aftermarket ones with Rally Armor being the most popular.

Poking around here and other Subaru websites I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas of ways to spend.

Nate

Founding Father
Pick up a used SPT catback from a WRX. You can have it cheap, and it will add some sound with out being ear shattering. Just know you will never get that well known Subi rumble with your factory equal length headers. You could also have something custom done at a muffler shop for cheap. You have a single exit, so it would be easy.

Smiththers

are there headers made for my car or could someone make them?

oh im def going to get the stock mud flaps.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Stein

Stein
are there headers made for my car or could someone make them?
Paging Dr. Meyagi... If anybody can do it on here, he could. Everybody has been telling me that in order to get the "subie rumble" I need headers first, but I've heard some sweet sounding cars that have just had stock headers.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Your car has the capibility to sound good with equal lenght or unequal length headers. The subby rumble comes from unequal length which are stock on any turbo model I believe. I switched my sti to unequal length and loved the sound but switched back for other reasons. Id get a cat back and maybe an accesport and you will be fine. NA cars can be very expensive to net a decent ammount of hp out of. If I was you I would go for the more traditional style subby geared for a rally type setup. Knobby tires and tall suspension with plenty of lights and skid plates.

Stein

Stein
Your car has the capibility to sound good with equal lenght or unequal length headers. The subby rumble comes from unequal length which are stock on any turbo model I believe. I switched my sti to unequal length and loved the sound but switched back for other reasons. Id get a cat back and maybe an accesport and you will be fine. NA cars can be very expensive to net a decent ammount of hp out of. If I was you I would go for the more traditional style subby geared for a rally type setup. Knobby tires and tall suspension with plenty of lights and skid plates.
Thanks. I was actually about to post asking what people would do to mod a GF wagon on the cheaps. I'll post it up anyway
default_smile.png

Tyler

Paging Dr. Meyagi... If anybody can do it on here, he could. Everybody has been telling me that in order to get the "subie rumble" I need headers first, but I've heard some sweet sounding cars that have just had stock headers.
Uh, not everyone. In fact I think most people are telling you that you already have UEL headers. I should have looked for you the other day. I had Subie rumble on my 97 before the swap with the same motor you have.

But back on topic!

Yeah, catback exhaust, maybe an intake ... depending who you ask, and lots of suspension parts.

i-wagon

i have a k&n panel filter and built my own dynomax axleback on my 2.5i. i noticed the power gains, not a lot, but some. and just hacking off the old muffler and welding on the dynomax wasn't that loud and still sounds good. and add lots of lights ;-)

Smiththers

i have a k&n panel filter and built my own dynomax axleback on my 2.5i. i noticed the power gains, not a lot, but some. and just hacking off the old muffler and welding on the dynomax wasn't that loud and still sounds good. and add lots of lights ;-)

there wont be any hacking done on this thing, its my baby! there will however be lights :)

diabloadsit

the NA motor wouldn't have enough grunt to even be worth well putting the 6 speed in. Even a Stock STI has trouble going up a big hill while in 6th gear.

Gate4jg

the NA motor wouldn't have enough grunt to even be worth well putting the 6 speed in. Even a Stock STI has trouble going up a big hill while in 6th gear.
+1

try driving a new legacy with a 6 speed, not really that impressive. Now putting in a 5 speed automatic that would be fun. lol

When I bought my 08 2.5i I was planning to do stuff to it. Unless you have a wrecked WRX laying around for parts, dont bother doing anything to the car (maybe put in a rear sway bar if it doesn't have one but that's it) , save for something better.

Smiththers

well then.... i like my car the way it is really. i just wanted to know if it could be done. my last car was a '96 prizm with 100hp, so this thing is a TQ monster to me.....

Latest posts

Back