98 Impreza coupe build!

twenty2bee

I am posting this because i am planning on doing this build in the next week or so. Let me know what you think!

-I am getting rid of my 2.2 block completely and using a 2.5 block. (It is leaking a quart - 2 of oil every day oil and has a disgusting amount of miles for my 200 mile round trip work route.)

-With this 2.5 block i am slapping on my current heads from my ej22 phase one. 

-I am taking a set of 2.2t cams from 92(??) and putting them in my phase one 98 heads. 

-Stock 98 ej22 intake manifold and ECU.

-STI oil pump. 

-Intake manifold spacers. 

-MSD coils.

-My goal is lower end torque and a completely jacked up CR. (10:1) 

-Thinking about eventually getting my cams grinded. 

-I also have a set of 03 WRX struts that are going into it but i know for a fact they fit and perform 10 x better than stock struts. 

Anyone see any problems i will run into building this? I basically have 3 days to get this baby done so i can get it back on the road in time for work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't bother with the 22t cams. High compression builds have been done with the regular cams and they run fine and make a decent amount of power. As to how long they actually last depends on the condition of the 2.5 block. I believe the CR is higher then 10:1 with this build so I recommend you run 91 octane to avoid knock.

JoshP

You dont want anything bigger than 10mm oil pump on that, sounds like a solid build for you.  Run 91 octane obviously.  I've built a few of those in the past. 

twenty2bee

Awesome! The reason i want to run the 2.2t cams is because they are kind of a package deal that i am buying from a friend for a price i cannot refuse. I will probably throw them to the side if my cams will work fine, i just figured that it will be an upgrade from my stock ones. As for the oil pump, you are saying to run stock? (@joshp )

dsmith

i have a buddy selling a vf23 turbo, spools up quick and would be good for low end torque.

twenty2bee

Not looking for turbo at this point. Although it would be fun, low end torque is not in definition of turbo. Maybe in future builds...

Latest posts

Back