99 obs squeek

internalcombust

A friend of mine has a 99 obs with 103k miles. He has a squeek that I thought was a loose belt. I checked the belts and they were all tight, the squeek is def coming from belt area. I used the old screw driver to ear trick on alternator and ac, power steering pumps to see if a bearing was going, but no dice. I assume then that it is the idler pulley with a bad bearing. Any one know if this is common or if something else could cause a beltlike squeeling from accessory area? If it is the idler then it will be a snap to change, just looking to pick peoples brains.

inski

Take the belt off, spin pulleys by hand, feel & listen for roughness.

If you still cant pin point the noise then fire it up. If noise is still there then most likely its under the timing cover.

All those things make noises on Subarus, pulley, idlers, alts, AC compressors, timing idlers, timing tentioners, ect.

Rightseat

try cycling the A/C compressor on and off while engine is running...that'll tell you at least if it's in the A/C clutch or belt ass'y

you can do this by turning the defroster on and off while engine is running. on scoobys the defrost also engages the A/C unit

Latest posts

Back