A Bad Day

clayton lewis

Will last Saturday I went to friend and friends to get some parts for my dirt bike. I was talking to a friend that I ride with, when all of a sudden a guy came up to me and asked if I drove a wrx. Well long story short, his wife backed into my car with their truck. She got my bumper, taillight, the trunk lid, and the taillight mounting panel. 950 dollars worth; so I know what I

spartan5

That sux!!!! Atl east you know a good body man,though!
default_tongue.png

4WRXter

Skier!
Sorry about the damage to your car. Apparently, the fellow is a stand-up man to own up to it. It's refreshing to hear about that. There's hope for the human race after all.

Nate

Founding Father
Sorry man that sucks.

But i guess its a good way to have some money in your pocket. You can fix it yourself for less then a company can.

patsti

NitrousFed
umm $950??? That is a $$$$ hit. Ask for all new parts... you are not at fault my guess is...

NEW PARTS!

Trunk- 400 +paint 300

Bumper- 200 +paint 250-300

Tail light- 200

light panel- 150-200 plus paint 100

So about $1600 in parts and paint

plus labor and blending of paint NOT CLEAR COAT BLENDING.

So about $300 labor +200 blending

So $2100+ depriciation... they actually owe you for that too...

So I would ask insurance company for $3000 and accept $2500 NO LESS but that's not seeing pics and that's not fixing said parts. I would refuse a fix since it was not your fault you can refuse fixes to some extent.

patsti

NitrousFed
It sux to get your car smacked but good you know who and that you can fix it yourself.
why are you fixing it yourself when you can make them fix it??? I never understand it when people do that. If someone hits you the should fix it with NEW OEM parts

Iboc_C64

You could have thier Insurance company pay the depreciated value of the damages to the car without a fix. Make sure you have an insurance adjuster do the estimate and not a body shop because then they will expect you to have it fixed at a shop, tell them you want it estimated with new OEM parts. They will pay you the amount the adjuster estimates at which point you are free to do as you please with the money, go shopping if you like. Then fix it your self for less. According to the state farm reps I spoke with when I messed up my old car, this is 100% legal and it is done all the time in these situations. They are only concerned with paying you what you are owed, if you can fix it for less, go for it.

patsti

NitrousFed
You could have thier Insurance company pay the depreciated value of the damages to the car without a fix. Make sure you have an insurance adjuster do the estimate and not a body shop because then they will expect you to have it fixed at a shop, tell them you want it estimated with new OEM parts. They will pay you the amount the adjuster estimates at which point you are free to do as you please with the money, go shopping if you like. Then fix it your self for less. According to the state farm reps I spoke with when I messed up my old car, this is 100% legal and it is done all the time in these situations. They are only concerned with paying you what you are owed, if you can fix it for less, go for it.
I know he does body work... this was my point. why not get what you are owed.

saabaru

Wow, good thing he mentioned it to you. And lets see that damage so we can discuss more about getting more from insurance company.

Iboc_C64

Wow, good thing he mentioned it to you. And lets see that damage so we can discuss more about getting more from insurance company.
This sounds a little sarcastic. I only mentioned it because its not illegal because you are not misrepresenting anything to the insurance company and his rates won't go up because it should be covered under the other guys insurance. The other guy's GF should be more careful. Simple as that. This is even the case with normal accidents. I had an issue with my last car when broke a tail light and cracked a bumper. State Farm sent out an adjuster, and came up with a number of $1600 damage. I called and talked to the rep about what I was required to do and what I could do with the money and basically asked if I had to get it fixed. They said no, it not thier responsibility to fix the car, only to pay me what I was due for my loss and document it so if there was another claim on my car and I didn't have it fixed, they would not pay for the same damage twice, which would be fraud. He told me that I could even tell them I was going to take the money pocket it, so long as I was satisfied with the compensation for my loss. They then cut me a check for the estimate minus the $500 deductable. I then went to a good friend who fixed it for $850. I actually pocketed $250 and both I and the insurance company were happy. It wasn't fraud because it was $1600 damage if I brought it to the dealer's body shop. If I recall though, If the car is less than 5 years old and there is a lean on it, you need to have it fixed and have proof. Don't quote me on that though.

Stein

Stein
This sounds a little sarcastic. I only mentioned it because its not illegal because you are not misrepresenting anything to the insurance company and his rates won't go up because it should be covered under the other guys insurance. The other guy's GF should be more careful. Simple as that. This is even the case with normal accidents. I had an issue with my last car when broke a tail light and cracked a bumper. State Farm sent out an adjuster, and came up with a number of $1600 damage. I called and talked to the rep about what I was required to do and what I could do with the money and basically asked if I had to get it fixed. They said no, it not thier responsibility to fix the car, only to pay me what I was due for my loss and document it so if there was another claim on my car and I didn't have it fixed, they would not pay for the same damage twice, which would be fraud. He told me that I could even tell them I was going to take the money pocket it, so long as I was satisfied with the compensation for my loss. They then cut me a check for the estimate minus the $500 deductable. I then went to a good friend who fixed it for $850. I actually pocketed $250 and both I and the insurance company were happy. It wasn't fraud because it was $1600 damage if I brought it to the dealer's body shop. If I recall though, If the car is less than 5 years old and there is a lean on it, you need to have it fixed and have proof. Don't quote me on that though.
I think he was saying its a good thing the guy came and told him that his wife did the damage.

Back