ABS or NON ABS???

akinaspeedstar

so... i found a 01 L that im gonna go look at this weekend but i have a question... it doesn't have ABS. is this something that i'll want to put in? CAN i put it in? should i care?

the car is pretty cheep so im thinking about swaping out the drive train at some point and defanatly plan on auto crossing it. but will i miss not having ABS????

Lawdawg

No, learn how to threshold brake and you will not miss ABS--in fact I hate my ABS--too agressive in my opinion and every now and then I may want to lock up to scrub away gravel or other loose surface. My .02

Runnah

No, learn how to threshold brake and you will not miss ABS--in fact I hate my ABS--too agressive in my opinion and every now and then I may want to lock up to scrub away gravel or other loose surface.

Rightseat

"upgrading" an earlier L to ABS is a total waste of time and effort. It would be a highly involved project--ever checked out the ABS hardware on a WRX for instance? wheel sensors, extra bkake plumbing to the pressure distributor unit under the hood, plus all the wiring--eeek!.

runnah is right--ABS is one of those features aimed at unskilled, unknowing drivers.

Runnah

PS on newer Imprezas with ABS, you can disable the system by pulling Fuse #8 under the dash...just be prepared to deal with the ABS warning light ruining your nite vision

akinaspeedstar

that's pretty much what i figured too, but it's nice to hear from people with driving experience.

so pretty much it's a 01 L coupe for like 5k. pending final drive and inspection I'm gonna pull the trigger on it Saturday. i figure it's a build your own race car. and i can get into it for less then i can sell my car for so instant bonus right there!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Maybe the glow of the ABS light will distract me from the CE light. ;D

hey, I was gonna say that. ;D

Not sure about autox, but in rallyx, most pull the ABS fuse while racing. First timers are great, they come in from the first run cursing the ABS because they couldn't make a corner and mowed down cones.
I am going to wire up a switch so I don't have to pull the fuse. but I didn't have any problem with the ABS at Union.

R

redlinerally

So how does it go:

1.) Wire from prong 1 in FB to prong 1 on switch

2.) Wire from prong 2 in FB to prong 2 on switch

3.) Inline fuse in either 1 or 2, same amp as fuse removed?

Besides installing the switch, am I missing anything else?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
So how does it go:

1.) Wire from prong 1 in FB to prong 1 on switch

2.) Wire from prong 2 in FB to prong 2 on switch

3.) Inline fuse in either 1 or 2, same amp as fuse removed?

Besides installing the switch, am I missing anything else?
Yup that is pretty much it. The blade connectors you typically buy will fit right into the fuse blade sections. There are adapters for that such wiring.

R

redlinerally

Wow, that nails it right on. Here I was thinking you only knew vinyl...
Did I ever mention that I was a Comp Sci major in college, and that I am very quick with electronics? ;D

Raw engine knowledge... right.
default_wink.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Problem:

Once power is disconnected, you have set a code in the computer. On older models, after 30 drive cycles, if the problem isn't found anymore, the computer will reset itself. On newer models, you will have to come in to have the codes cleared. As long as the light is on, ABS is disabled.

By putting a switch inline, you can disconnect the power, but just putting power back will not put the light out.

Now, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes may reset the light, but the code will still be in there.

R

redlinerally

Okay, so is there a better way to disable and re-enable to ABS?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
You'll need a second switch to disconnect power to the battery.
default_wink.png
Then you can reset your presets for the radio. >
default_smile.png

Our senior master Subaru tech said the computer really won't like all this resetting. Think turning your PC on/off without shutting it down. It'll get scrambled.

R

redlinerally

Okay, so what does this all mean for those of us who want to drive sans ABS??

Latest posts

Back