Accessport

rsalomon13

Anyone in the southern Maine .. Portland/Windham area have an accesport I could borrow just to reflash to stage one. I just bought a used 2007 STI with 36000 mi and I am suffering from the really weird torgue curve. (How it is like a truck until 4000 and then it takes off like a damned rocket ship). Any help you all have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Geist

That's not exactly how it works...

Accessports "marry" themselves to the car they're installed to... so you asking to "borrow" someone's AP to flash your ECU, you'd be asking them to make it not work on their car...

The only thing an access port can do for someone else other than the owner's car, is read the diagnostics (like look for thrown codes and such.) I think.

:hello: But congratulations on the STi and welcome to the board! :hello:

Lawdawg

Coming from an 05 STi, I found the same thing in terms of what appeared to be serious lag.

My 05 seemed much quicker through the gears in terms of accelleration as per the butt dyno. I did some research and learned that some of this is down to gearing. As some point after 05, "to improve gas mileage" (which is what all STi owners are looking for :dontknow:), they changed the gearing and stretched things out a little.

For example, I read somewhere that in 0 to 60 tests, whereas in an 05, you hit 5th gear with optimal shift points, in an 07, you do it in fourth. With slightly taller gearing, as you shift from say second to third, you start off at lower revs...hence it seems a little flat. I want my 05 gear box back :crybaby2:

I have a Cobb AP and stage 1 helped considerably (at least per butt dyno). And yes, you cannot share an AP for obvious reasons.

rsalomon13

Thanks for the info.... this is the first car I have had that had the option to "Reflash Yourself" instead of sending the chip out or ordering a new ecu. I was under the impression that accessports are not piggyback units? And that they could be removed. They are still "married to one car" however? I am not challenging what you said just trying to understand. Thanks for the replies and if that is the case. Anyone selling an Accessport?

Geist

Think of it as being temporary..

when it's in your car, the ap 2.0 is "married" to your car, and when you uninstall it, it isn't...

It takes your car's original ecu info, and stores it, and then when you 'unmarry' it replaces it back to oem.

rsalomon13

Thanks geist, one last thing. Does anyone have any experience with Patriot Subaru, they were great through the purchase process but how friendly are they to tuners in terms of honoring warranty's. I got the lifetime powertrain on the STI and I don't really want to completely blow that out of the water. Coming from a VW I am more then accustomed to the "You Pay to Play" adage but I have heard the subaru can be fairly lenient. Thanks guys.

Geist

Patriot's always been relatively good to me...

The law in Maine, (and maybe US?) is that they can't dishonor your warranty due to mods unless directly related to why something broke...

i.e. they can't go "See those coilovers you got? We're not going to cover your stock seized engine because of them."

As far as snagging up a AP, I don't see why they'd have a problem with it.

Jimbo

It's been mentioned that if you're worried about your place not covering due to the AP, simply re-flash back to OEM programming before you bring it in. A wise Subaru tech told me once that unless the techs check the "checksum" in the ECU programming, there's no way to tell. Just don't put AccessPort stickers all over your ride
default_smile.png

Rightseat

how friendly are they to tuners in terms of honoring warranty's.... I am more then accustomed to the "You Pay to Play" adage but I have heard the subaru can be fairly lenient. Thanks guys.
just figure you are on a slippery slope. some dealers are reasonable about mods, others are most definitely not. I had a dealer deny coverage for a bum diff becasue my car had "mud flaps and too many stone chips underneath and a aftermarket exhaust so that's obviously a problem" ???!!! wtf

lots depends on your attitude--if you are trying to get warranty coverage for something you blew up due to edgy mods or your own bonehead leadfooting, they they tend to be more vigilant and less flexible. mods on STIs tend to get closer scrutiny since the car is so highly engineered to begin with. if your mods are hack jobs, all bets are off; if done well, this tends to gain respect from service writers and tech so they're more likely to help u out.

Have owned several Subies and had very mixed luck...from having coverage denied at one dealer (and my VIN# red-flagged in the dealer database) to getting full coverage with a smile from another dealer for the exact same issue. another dealer knew full well I mod my cars (but do it well) and drive the whee out of my cars and covered problems anyway.

you pays yer mod $$, ya takes yer chances. :eek:ccasion14:

rsalomon13

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am going to be looking to pick up a Cobb AP once i take care of this damn excise tax. If anyone knows of anyone selling one let me know. And if the dealer won't cover engine or tranny issues because of that then......... :thebirdman:

Lawdawg

Keep your eye on Nesic. I see them for sale their from time to time.. Should be able to get a version 2 for about, oh I don't know, $500 to $600 or there abouts

Latest posts

Back