AGX vs. GR2s

Runnah

Which is better for occasional rally-x but more DD and spirited driving?

I can save $150 by getting the GR2s so if they aren't that much worse I could save the $$.

EvilAsPie

Akina seams to think the GR2s feel about as stiff as AGXs on the middle setting. I don't know what they are really rated at.

Regardless I don't think i would spend the extra $$ for only an occasional rally-x. GR2s with appropriate springs for your sport (rally-x or auto-x) will do you just fine.

Only when you are doing many events (ie. our RS in the past auto-x season) will you really appreciate the adjustability of the AGXs.

akinaspeedstar

i will tell you one advantage to the GR-2's. while evil is on the wet tar adjusting his back down to drive home, im not. ;D

with my prodrive springs and the GR2's i like it. i think the springs are matched pretty well to the shocks. i haven't tried them on standard springs. i know inski was bitching about them in another post but for daily driving there not too harsh, they are a little bouncy sometimes but i think that's more the springs. with evil having the AGX's and me running the GR2's with the same springs on the same car now... and consistenty comeing in within tenths of each other (when were not getting owned by heidi :
default_biggrin.png
) i think the GR2s are just fine. evil swears by the AGX's but i've heard that they can wear out fastr then the GR2's. i would have got the AGX's but i was strapped for cash at the time, i don't regret my choice. your welcome to take my car for a spin if you want to. but i have some pretty crazy bars on it at the moment and springs and squishy tyres so it wont be a true test but it will give you an idea. hope that helped!

gearsoup

I had AGX's with OBS springs on my RS swapped L. I did more than a few rally-x's. When I bought my current rig, I decided to go with GR-2's. I heard they were comparable with AGX's on medium. That may be so, but I never ran my AGX's on medium. More like 90% stiff in the rear, and on 3 in the front. Yes, it made for a harsh ride at "normal" speeds, but it stuck like glue in the twisties, off road it handled PERFECTLY.

If I could, I'd go back and buy the AGX's...

katnip

the car is black. I swear
wow, just discussing this with the hubby on the way to work this morning. the gr's are way cheaper and tTO has the gr on one of the high speed rough road cars and they are toast. I liked the adjustability of the agx, and I need to change out the dms for the winter, so I too am looking. Obviously, the ride is not an issue for me. But on the other hand I may start running the rally neon at rx's anyway!

Rightseat

GR2s are basically stock struts plus 10%. I have GR2s on the Miata and they seem fine. but have only had 1 Miata so whut do I know? really. :
default_smile.png
have run GR2s on some of the Team O'Neil school Imprzas, and they are OK but can def bottom out over the rough bits without a whole lotta trying.

AGXes are like stock struts plus 10%, 50%, and/or 100%, dependng on adchoostment. less likely to bottom out, but ride like a effin skateboard on the higher settings. lowest setting is OK for DD use, tho.

EvilAsPie

so Nigel... by that description GR2s (+10%) would be equivalent to AGXs on lowest setting (+10%), right?

Do you have the actual rate numbers to confirm that or is that how the feel to you?

Rightseat

that is informal butt dyno feedback, not from instrumented testing. my RS had JDM pink springs, so it was quite a lot rougher riding than just the AGX upgrade alone with OBS or stock springs would have been.

EvilAsPie

even though "informal" it does make sense to me since GR2s are advertised as a "slightly better then stock replacement" not a "50% better then stock replacement."

Rightseat

even though "informal" it does make sense to me since GR2s are advertised as a "slightly better then stock replacement" not a "50% better then stock replacement."
I noted that my highly tuned butt dyno estimated GR2s at "stock plus 10%" and AGXes at "stock plus 10-100%"

or something like that! :
default_smile.png

Rightseat

Which is better for occasional rally-x but more DD and spirited driving?

I can save $150 by getting the GR2s so if they aren't that much worse I could save the $$.
fact is, R you have been running the AGXes since you bought the car....and if you go back to the GR2s you might feel like you're driving a Buick instead of a nice leetle RS.

internalcombust

I don't think you will find agxs for teh wagon. I tried and no luck. I am running the gr2s with prodrive springs and they work great. They are well matched with eachother. Just be sure to order struts for a wagon they are different!

Redline

Are you sure Carl? Vendors claim that the GF wagon is different from the GC, but I have proof to the contrary. Might the GG be the same as the GD and just not on paper?

Has anyone actually tried putting AGX's on a wagon, which were claimed to be only Sedan fitment?

Redline

Not until it's finished man. Soon, though. Soon.

Look for it's debut (along with the Redline Rally X) at the.... Redline Rally-X... yeah.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back