Any musicians/ composers in the house?

Blue Bugeye

So I've been really curious to see how many die hard musicians like myself are part of the MS community. I spend a generous amount of my time writing, revising, and frankenstiening music for the progressive/ambient metal band I'm apart of.

Any musicians In the house? Instrument of choice? Influences?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I sing and play clarinet. And I'm currently trying to find time to learn the guitar. My dad is a wonderful guitar player, so he's gonna teach me.

Blue Bugeye

that's awesome. I have a lot of respect for singers/ vocalists, mostly because i'm not very gifted in that department. I'm a bassist by true nature;)

krazykarpenter

been teaching myself how to pay guitar, I have an acoustic and electric, played the saxophone in school for awhile. I would not call my self a musician by any standards for guitar I use tabs and memorize them to play the songs that I like, so I can play, but not like a true musician; don't know notes or anything just memorization of the tabs

05wrxwagon

I play bass and just bought an electric guitar but i am thinking about selling it to buy a 99 subie wagon. I dont know?

Blue Bugeye

been teaching myself how to pay guitar, I have an acoustic and electric, played the saxophone in school for awhile. I would not call my self a musician by any standards for guitar I use tabs and memorize them to play the songs that I like, so I can play, but not like a true musician; don't know notes or anything just memorization of the tabs
Tabs are a great way to learn and write music. I studied music theory for 4 years to get to where i'm at now but i still use tabs (tabit
default_wink.png
) to write all my music. Tabs give a good visual perception of music, and are so much easier to read then sheet music. I'm acctually working on a new piece right now for my band. Lots of odd time, key changes, polyrythmn and weird syncapation, just my style of music
default_biggrin.png
can't wait to finish it.

krazykarpenter

yeah, i used to be able to read sheet music, but def. tabs are easier and I think that I will stick with them; glad to see someone else uses tabs too!

Tyler

I was in a band. I have no time, so I left it. I played rhythm guitar for Fifth Freedom. If I ever play again, I think I want to do some blues stuff.

02 WRX Chris

Been playing guitar since i was like 12 so about 8 years now. I can't read music but i play in my free time with tabs. I try to learn a new song every other week but its been pretty crazy with school, work, and a girlfriend....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I can read music, but not tabs. haha.

....pretty crazy .... girlfriend....
I'd take that over playing guitar. Good combination of words you have in that sentence
default_wink.png

02 WRX Chris

well....you have a good point. she is crazy in a good way ;-)

Kristof

Banned
was a dj from age 17- 24. spun mostly progresive trance and breaks. did a lot of remixing as well as making new songs with acid pro. i hated selling my decks and records but i never used them anymore

Mighty Subie

I was a percussionist all throughout school. I played everything from full drum set to stuff like ''keyboard instruments'' like the xylophone. from that I now know how to read and play a piano.. I am horrible but i CAN play lol.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
I played percussion after some guitar, as young kid. The influence was horrible (ie: I was 10 in 1983- guess the music on the radio). My happy vengeance after giving it all up, is taking existing songs and mixing with the internet, simple free tools.

It is as if all music I hear has bits and pieces teasing my taste and torturing me me with lack of what

I want much too soon before the end of each tune. It is very very satisfying to make my own.

recently I have targetted pink floyds melodies that randomly emerge as masterpieces and drift off like america- an acid tripping extreme. I keep the good pieces, and tell noone what I did.
default_biggrin.png

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Getting the email notification for this thread just interrupted my practicing
default_biggrin.png

TheSoundMan

I play drums, with a good bit of theory under my belt, and am the engineer at The Stone Church in Newmarket, NH. I also work on various records for people from time to time.

Latest posts

Back