Anyone know where I can get some aluminum welded?

smosh

I have a broken treadmill part (aluminum support) that separated at weld points. I can order a new part for around $60, but I was hoping to just get this part fixed. Seems like a waste to get a whole new one.

Where can I get it done and what do you think it might cost?

Thanks!

Mighty Subie

I think I might be down in Portland tomorrow. I can weld it for you. prob only cost me 5-10 bucks for the supplies. Give me a call tomorrow and we can see what's happening. I will have to bring it home and then bring it back down for you though. so it's not an immediate thing though. It'd take me a couple days to get it back to you. I'll pm you with my number.

Apollyon12

I would guess that if Mighty S can't do it for you, or you have another friend that can help you out, you would end up paying more and waiting longer for a shop to do it for you. Given that you are walking in off the street and it's a one off piece. But I might be wrong. I think there is a boat repair place on Rt 1 in saco, behind that fishing place, that could do it for you. I have never in there or had any work done, but I am pretty sure that they do mostly aluminum.

Mighty Subie

I am in Portland btw. I have noting to do because my friend who I was supposed to hang out with is..... umm.. good question????? so anyway, let me know man if you want me to or not.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
if you could weld on your own..much better off.

the "argon fantasy" with welding breaks welds. they may look pretty but truth emerges.

I reply in that I just looked up aluminum mig wire, claims I need argon.I want to do my own work. I could guess how little to give it..ignoring percentage rules.

check this vid out, it looks more like art than machining, by the worker who knows aluminum no doubt...

Is there any local that really weld?

Evan

boxer3main, i'm pretty sure i have no idea what you're talking about.

smosh, did you get your piece welded? if you cant then you could try drilling a couple holes in it and bolting in a metal brace maybe?

Mighty Subie

well I can say that I didn't get it to be welded. I pmed with my cell number but didn't get a response. Also boxer3main... you do need some sort of shielding gas there. argon or a light mixture works best but straight argon is what works best for tig welding aluminum. Unless you're using stick, you need a shielding gas because the weld will come out like crap without it. Ask anyone who has forgotten to turn on their gas while welding. Just for a little bit on my welding background: I was a structural fitter for BIW and got their in-house cert for welding stick and mig which includes both weld appearance and penetration.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
^Have you seen the pics of boxer3mains welding?? I don't think he has ever used gas!! It just looks like big built up boogers on some metal. I did better with my harbor freight gas-less mig. Makes me wonder what the welds look like on his "stronger than stock" old Subaru

Mighty Subie

ok this has made me want to do a little show and tell. I will go out today and do a side by side comparison. I will make 2 welds, as close to exactly the same as I possibly can, only one with and one without gas. then I will post up the pics. this will be standard mig, solid .032 wire.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
ok this has made me want to do a little show and tell. I will go out today and do a side by side comparison. I will make 2 welds, as close to exactly the same as I possibly can, only one with and one without gas. then I will post up the pics. this will be standard mig, solid .032 wire.
This is going to be awesome. Looking forward to the info post.

Mighty Subie

ok so I totally forgot to take pics of it today. I got sidetracked. I will in the am when there's natural light in addition to the flash.

Latest posts

Back