Anyone on here? Windham Accident.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
no doubt everyone on here has done some dumb stunts in their Subaru, and we've (almost always) gotten away with it. color me guilty, that's fer sure. (just so there's no 'holier than thou' edge to what I want to say)

this is a hard reminder about the "almost always" part. life gets pretty messy sometimes. I feel bad for the young driver, his passengers, and the poor innocent folks in the SUV who were basically at the wrong place at the wrong time. I feel bad for the guys who helped soup up his car who then have to deal with the aftermath of when that work goes so badly wrong.

my mom used to say, "I worry about you driving those rally cars so fast," and I'd always say, "don't worry, the faster we go the more we pay attention."

we celebrate fast cars on here, let's make sure to also celebrate driving them mindfully and with the best skills we can develop behind the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:

scubiecraig

This story really stinks. It's sad to see people get hurt. I hope everyone pulls through ok. Nigel, your words are priceless and people need to heed to them a lot better than they currently do.

JlyonsSTI

I hope this kid didn't end up killing his friend.

Just another example of how our license system sucks.
How is this an example of how our license system sucks? Anyone of any ability could crash their car in the blink of the eye. There are so many variables. Yes, not all young drivers are responsible or skilled, but the same could be said about most drivers on the road (young-old woman or man). I think most people suck at driving especially old peopleand when you're on a public road anything could happen. Sounds like this kid cut across the lane to take the corner (maybe he was distracted by a passenger or something), but still..... Has nothing to do with the license system. Individual responsibily! Perhaps we need a driving technique forum on here. Let it be a riminder- "Keep your eyes on the road and you're hands up on the wheel!"

RedForester08

I have a teenage son that age. This is a fathers worst fears. This exact type of accident is what I tell my son and his friends will be the end results if you drive beyond your skill, to fast, use the wrong side of the road to try and make a corner, show off with your friends and most of all wear your seat belt. I hope Taking my boys to O'Niels driving school and Auto-x races will give them an outlet and the skills to make the correct descisions and not end up like this. I pray for everyone's recovery. I will use the bad accindent to try and hammer the point to my sons and his friends.

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
I have a teenage son that age. This is a fathers worst fears. This exact type of accident is what I tell my son and his friends will be the end results if you drive beyond your skill, to fast, use the wrong side of the road to try and make a corner, show off with your friends and most of all wear your seat belt. I hope Taking my boys to O'Niels driving school and Auto-x races will give them an outlet and the skills to make the correct descisions and not end up like this. I pray for everyone's recovery. I will use the bad accindent to try and hammer the point to my sons and his friends.

^ AMEN

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
How is this an example of how our license system sucks? Anyone of any ability could crash their car in the blink of the eye. There are so many variables. Yes, not all young drivers are responsible or skilled, but the same could be said about most drivers on the road (young-old woman or man). I think most people suck at driving especially old peopleand when you're on a public road anything could happen. Sounds like this kid cut across the lane to take the corner (maybe he was distracted by a passenger or something), but still..... Has nothing to do with the license system. Individual responsibily! Perhaps we need a driving technique forum on here. Let it be a riminder- "Keep your eyes on the road and you're hands up on the wheel!"
Take a look at what Finland does for licensing. Their approach is quite different than our own. It is based on building a certain skillset and the responsibility of piloting a multi ton wheeled machine.

scooby RS

a little offsubject, but near augusta there was a subaru wagon that hit the cliffs and bounced back into i95. they also had to be lifeflighted out, I havn't found any information on it yet though. this was last sunday. I happened to drive by it minutes after it happened. luckily police and ambulances responded quick.

Matt

I was also there for it. Got stuck around the Sidney exit and creeped along for almost an hour or so. We got to the accident just as they were towing it away. Wagon was completely destroyed. Havnt seen anything about it either.

AiRX

a little offsubject, but near augusta there was a subaru wagon that hit the cliffs and bounced back into i95. they also had to be lifeflighted out, I havn't found any information on it yet though. this was last sunday. I happened to drive by it minutes after it happened. luckily police and ambulances responded quick.
It was 2 18year olds. Female driver lost control doing a lane change on that freakin uneven pavement. The passenger was ejected and might lose his arm. She was pretty bad off and there is no more info as to her condition. It is too bad. The ledge they hit is vitious. I hope they both make it through it, it's sad to think it could have been any of us.

Matt

that's one hell of an uneven lane....I travel 95 twice a week....I stay in one lane when I come up to that, not just for motorcycles

Blurry

It is a scary thing. As a parent of a 20 year old who had a bad accident at 16 one always worries and prays for their child's safety. My son's incident was a scary accident (anytime the jaws of life are used and the helo is called in) that was a stressful and scary time especially for him with plenty of prayer and best wishes for a full recovery and thankfully it turned out and all recovered with no lasting affect. Unfortunately it takes one foolish mistake to change one's life forever. Hope the outcome of this crash turns out for the good and all involved recover fully.

Willwrb04

news said no one was wearing a a seatbelt
Ever since all those drivers ed videos I ALWAYS where mine. My gf will wait like 10-20mins before she puts hers on, and I don't notice till she does and I freak on her
default_angry.png
its only an extra 2 seconds, I think we all can spare that. News could be wrong though, maybe they unbuckled before police arrived. Hope they're doing well. Makes me not want to order new sways, cuz I will be testing those
default_tongue.png
, but safely.

HR radness

His royal radness
Take a look at what Finland does for licensing. Their approach is quite different than our own. It is based on building a certain skillset and the responsibility of piloting a multi ton wheeled machine.
What the man who is wise beyond his years said

Stryker

I'm 17 and I know a few people from my school who have wrecked their cars...I'm sure I'll end up responding to some wrecks this summer too as a firefighter or EMT. I just don't get why people don't wear their seatbelt...I've always done it and nobody can ride in my car unless they put it on. I'm also glad I went with a Forester, it's got room for my snowboard and mountain bikes and I am perfectly happy with it. I don't think I'll be getting anything faster until I'm out of college, I've got no use for one and no money for one either.

Hope those kids make it out alright, anytime they call LifeFlight there is generally something pretty serious happening.

Latest posts

Back