Back into a VW

Lawdawg

Before I jumped on the Suby wagon, I drove VWs; mainly MKIIs. A couple of GTi's and Sciroccos, and a cherry 93 SLC.

Well, I was driving up route 1 in falmouth and spotted a 1988 16v Scirocco. Stopped and took a look at it, and the rest is history. Very good shape--130K on the odometer and I picked it up for $975.
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Needs a few things like shifter bushings, a motor mount, window regulator etc, but looking forward to something I can tinker on. Seller is a VW fanatic, is German, and actually lives in Germany. He had planned to ship the car back and restore it but has too many cars and not enough time (spotted a nice MG, older Mercedes and an old BMW in the garage--multiple Audis in the driveway).

Will get pics up soon, but first a question. He says there is no title because the car is over 20 years old. Does this make sense? I will research DMV but figured I'd check here first. I pick it up tonight...

I dont need a car, have no room for it, really should not be spending the money on this, but i cant help myself:(

saabaru

Awesome, love the Scirocco's. Saw a Corrado today headed North on 295, looked awesome.

Post up some pic soon.. Not very often we seen them up here in Maine.

Hail to the new Scirocco

Scirocco.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristof

Banned
Awesome, love the Scirocco's. Saw a Corrado today headed North on 295, looked awesome.
Post up some pic soon.. Not very often we seen them up here in Maine.

Hail to the new Scirocco

Scirocco.jpg
default_additional_sillylol.gif
why dosent the us get any cars like this?

wzrd

first a question. He says there is no title because the car is over 20 years old. Does this make sense? I will research DMV but figured I'd check here first. I pick it up tonight...

I dont need a car, have no room for it, really should not be spending the money on this, but i cant help myself:(
I believe a hand written bill of sale is all you need for legal and registation purposes of an older car[call local town office].I have bought many older cars in the past with no title.:rolleyes:I would wonder why a man who owns other nice cars,has money,travels etc would play around in the low end non titled car market:idk: cya

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Dawg, you DOG! Nice discovery, sometimes it's good to go with the gut and just jump on a fun car for sale cheap.

No need for title on that Rocco, only need title for cars 15 yrs old or less. Allz you need to register is bill o sale.

My ex'es brother had a mid 80s 16v rocco, He loved it, drove that thing for 200k plus and finally it rusted to dust. I drove it late in its life and it was still fun as heck.

Lawdawg

Dawg, you DOG! Nice discovery, sometimes it's good to go with the gut and just jump on a fun car for sale cheap.
No need for title on that Rocco, only need title for cars 15 yrs old or less. Allz you need to register is bill o sale.

My ex'es brother had a mid 80s 16v rocco, He loved it, drove that thing for 200k plus and finally it rusted to dust. I drove it late in its life and it was still fun as heck.
Yeah, I am going with my gut. I think this will be fun, probably expensive and nerve-wracking, but I am getting to the point in life where I like to tinker and I sometimes get a little more enjoyment out of driving the older cars with all the quirks and what not. Going to pick it up now.

Oh, and, to teh question as to why someone would play around in the low end no title car market, go find a nice 16v or early GTi and drive it around for a while. Question answered:banana:

inski

Nice find Lawdawg. You know me, many a VWs, never a 16v.
default_banana.gif
I'm envious, a tiny bit.
default_additional_rockon.gif

Pics Dammit!

Lawdawg

So I picked it up and looked around this guys garage. Incredible. He had an old MG m6v or something like that, but the real find was an original Moris Minor woody truck in mint condition. Its for sale if anyone is interested. Sort of looked like a Mini Cooper truck, but it was a Moris Minor. Wow, just wow.

Lawdawg

Hopefully it looks like this. Have fun with the vdub!
Ha, that is actually a Corrado, not a Scirocco. I had a 1993 SLC VR6 for many years, but not with the Reiger body work....

So, I started to dig into it last night and develop a plan. First plan is cooling system by default. Why? Because on the way home I noticed the winsheild kept fogging up. Then when I hit the defrost, and little fine mist came out--then I remembered what happened to my 83 rocco.....heater core leak... uuuuggggghhhhh. Oh well, I expected as much for a 22 year old car. the parts are easy, but you have to remove the dash to do it, and it is a nuckle buster.

Plan is for new radiator, thermostat, pump, and heater core. Delete air conditioning in the process. Is Evan on here anymore?? I may need him and inski.. I also need a barn:)

GClark

Balls, Well at least you know your vws, but I blame google...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Dawg -- remember one key rule about CHEAP fun old cars...you don't necessarily have to restore them, just enjoy as is, as best you can.

that way they remain CHEAP old cars, capisce?
default_additional_angel.gif

another key rule for cheap old fun cars....junkyards is ur friend.

wzrd

Oh, and, to teh question as to why someone would play around in the low end no title car market, go find a nice 16v or early GTi and drive it around for a while. Question answered:banana:
I was specificly wondering why he[not generally anyone] would be interested.With the story layout you gave ,it sounded like a project car, that a man of means wouldnt bother with.:idk:for a broke working stiff like me:D sounds like a great find.Good luck:)

patsti

NitrousFed
I was going to buy that car!!! I was so sad when I drove by and saw someone taking it out for a spin the other day. I love that car! it looks sooooo clean

Lawdawg

I was going to buy that car!!! I was so sad when I drove by and saw someone taking it out for a spin the other day. I love that car! it looks sooooo clean
a lot of people were going to buy that car. As I showed up with the cash a car was driving away staring at me with scorn...

It is very clean. I can't believe how solid the shell is. Hell, the sunroof even works and they never work after 20 years.

Well, ordered my first round of parts last night. First, a Bently manual. Also a new door pin (something easy to build the confidence;)), motor mounts, and a shifter rebuild kit.

Dave, you are absolutely correct and i need to keep that in mind. There are a few things that need to be done, however, to get it to a point where it is safe and fairly reliable--which reminds me, I need to get an AAA membership now:p

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
somebody has to say it.....

TTIWWOP

the closet and outed Veedub fans of MS, unite and force the Dawg to cough up some pictaaRs!

Latest posts

Back