Barter situation

Ian Black

As you all must know by now, I've been fervently trying to get into another Subaru, but i've had some issues coming up with money. As of a few days ago a buddy of mine gave me a proposition. When he leaves in a month or so to England, he was going to trade me his 1995 Volvo 850 sedan on a 5 speed, for my Gibson guitar.

He's been pretty meticulous in maintaining it, as i've helped him a few times working on it. I've personally never owned one, but if anyone on here has any experience with them, any info would be great on other maintenance I should be looking into. Though I feel kind of dumb posting this on a Subaru site :/

I mean I know it's not what I WANT, but it's wheels either way. Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to not having a vehicle. At least this way I can save/build credit AND have a vehicle/not have a payment, so I can work towards getting something I want.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It's a fantastic car that's super reliable. That's a good trade.

That's likely a turbo model, right? They're fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Black

The only issue I know of recently is that the gearbox is a little wonky. The linkage gets angry easy. When I drove it last before things got fixed, it had lost second due to the cable being kinked or jammed somewhere. Shifting was weird compared to my Subaru or my VW. Though I think it's getting worked through before I would acquire it.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I have no idea how the shift linkage works in those. Some of them have a button on the shifter you push for 5th gear. Which is fine, just kinda weird to get used to.

Ian Black

It's a cable set up, almost under the airbox. Though I think the issue was a little further under the car. He's ordering the insert that the ball on the shifter sits in because part of the issue was it was cracked and not settling into the gears.

It's a fantastic car that's super reliable. That's a good trade.

That's likely a turbo model, right? They're fun.
Unfortunately no, just a base model. Though I wish it was a turbo cause from what ive looked into they're pretty quick.

Ian Black

Really? That;s good to know, aha i'm sure if I asked nice enough he'd help me with it, of course plus the all governing cash.

Latest posts

Back