Battery fixture grounded?

drphildo

Hey all,

This question is about my daily driver ('98 corolla). I was cleaning off my battery terminals and removed the fixture that holds down the battery. There is a long bolt with a hook on the end, for the life of me i couldn't find where to hook it back up to, after some finagling i got it to bite on something. When i was reconnecting the positive terminal my ratchet touched the nut holding down the bolt and sparks flew, apparently its now grounded. I was wondering if this could be a problem considering its so close to the positive terminal.

fwHL1Vi.jpg

Everything is absolutely normal. DC electrical circuits go to ground normally. The chassis is the "ground" in the case of a car. You just directly grounded to the chassis with your socket and ratchet which caused the sparks, no huge deal.

drphildo

Everything is absolutely normal. DC electrical circuits go to ground normally. The chassis is the "ground" in the case of a car. You just directly grounded to the chassis with your socket and ratchet which caused the sparks, no huge deal.
I assumed that, figured I'd ask. Never hurts.

Matt

There should be a hole for those hooks to go into. Gotta love accidentally grounding.... Aww the pretty lights and smell of burning electrical

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
That's why you connect the negative terminal last. If the negative wasn't connected, it would not have sparked.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I've worked in the marine industry for years. I worked with a guy that had a disfigured face, and a normal strip right across his eyes. Dropped a wrench across the terminals of a big 8D battery. He wasn't wearing eye protection, and the battery exploded. The strap on the battery shielded his eyes from getting sprayed with acid.

Needless to say, whenever do so much as look at jumper cables, wrenches under the hood, etc I get worried. heh. 

Careful with batteries...

I'm aware of this, sometimes me brain not work so good. Like when that time I thought poison ivy would make fair toilet paper.
OLOLLOLLL

Last edited by a moderator:

drphildo

I've worked in the marine industry for years. I worked with a guy that had a disfigured face, and a normal strip right across his eyes. Dropped a wrench across the terminals of a big 8D battery. He wasn't wearing eye protection, and the battery exploded. The strap on the battery shielded his eyes from getting sprayed with acid.

Needless to say, whenever do so much as look at jumper cables, wrenches under the hood, etc I get worried. heh. 

Careful with batteries...

OLOLLOLLL
Acid is dangerous. consume in moderation.

Latest posts

Back