Best lift options for an '04 WRX Wagon?

OtterCraft

I am in need of replacing my tired original stock suspension front and rear springs/struts. A lift over stock WRX height is what I hope to gain while keeping or improving handling. The Forester setup seems like it may be to high with an average 2 inch lift, and I would like to go with an inch plus in lift over stock, even out the lower rear end difference, and have better ride off-road. The paved roads here are very rough, and I have a need to get into back country dirt roads so a stiffer ride is out of the question. What would you off-road lovers recommend for an entire suspension setup which will correct any alignment/camber issues, and am not looking for the CHEAP route as I want the best handling providing lift?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Forester strut assemblies from 03-08 will bolt right in with no issues at all. But if you don't want to go that tall, then strut top spacers would work, but the King Springs would be better, but are a fair amount more money than other options. Obviously you will want to use new struts too.

If I was looking for a set up like you are, I'd go with KYB struts, with King springs, and maybe even new strut tops as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

OtterCraft

I have concerns with the King Springs hearing they ride stiffer than stock WRX suspension. Even a stock STI is a pretty rough ride around here for a daily driver. I was considering new WRX springs with 1 inch front and 1.25/1.5 inch spacers in the rear. What would be the best Subaru strut to use? I heard people using the Forester struts if lifting the WRX suspension the height I want.

IBratmanI

Well if you use the Forester struts with WRX springs, the struts will wear out much quicker due to not being in the middle of their travel range. And, you will still be lifting it more than you want probably because some of the lift comes from the longer struts as well. The King Springs are stiffer. Where do you live? I know I was down east last Monday and the roads are pretty rough (actually about the same as my local roads) and I drove on a lot of dirt roads as well, and my Impreza lifted with Forester struts rode awesome! Sucked up the bumps no prob, and rode great! But it does lift about 2-2.5", plus I'm assuming you will put bigger tires on as well. But I have no complaints with how mine handles at all. Actually pretty impressed.

OtterCraft

Well if you use the Forester struts with WRX springs, the struts will wear out much quicker due to not being in the middle of their travel range. And, you will still be lifting it more than you want probably because some of the lift comes from the longer struts as well. The King Springs are stiffer. Where do you live? I know I was down east last Monday and the roads are pretty rough (actually about the same as my local roads) and I drove on a lot of dirt roads as well, and my Impreza lifted with Forester struts rode awesome! Sucked up the bumps no prob, and rode great! But it does lift about 2-2.5", plus I'm assuming you will put bigger tires on as well. But I have no complaints with how mine handles at all. Actually pretty impressed.
How will the wear on the Forester struts be using the spacers? Should I be using a differnt Subie strut?

IBratmanI

How will the wear on the Forester struts be using the spacers? Should I be using a differnt Subie strut?
Spacers won't hurt the struts, but running shorter springs on the longer strut will wear them out. And, if you use Forester struts, and spacers, will be too much lift, and cause severe axle wear, especially in the front.

If you aren't afraid of the amount of lift, a set of 06ish Forester XT strut assemblies will bolt right in, and will perform great. 

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Stock forester struts are what I'd recommend, I usually have a set on hand, but I just recenetly sold my last one
default_frown.gif

OtterCraft

Stock forester struts are what I'd recommend, I usually have a set on hand, but I just recenetly sold my last one
default_frown.gif
Wish more time was available to do this research myself, and not bother you all with these type of questions.

What is all parts and year compatible to put a Forester spring and strut assembly on the wagon to gain that desired height,

and maintain proper alignment/camber? Thanks for the help and info.

IBratmanI

You should use 03-08 forester strut assemblies. They will.bolt right in. To get the best alignment get some camber bolts for the rear, and to center the wheel a bit better you can add the trailing arm bracket from a Forester as well. But they aren't absolutely necessary.

And no problem with the questions. That's what this place is for.

OtterCraft

You should use 03-08 forester strut assemblies. They will.bolt right in. To get the best alignment get some camber bolts for the rear, and to center the wheel a bit better you can add the trailing arm bracket from a Forester as well. But they aren't absolutely necessary.

I already have a new set of Forester struts and buying the springs, but will I need new top hats as well? Was wondering if my stock WRX tops are good to go on the Forester springs, and even make a noticable difference if new ones were installed? What size tire are you guys with the Forester lift running for the extra clearance?

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

You can use the 04 top hats and everything but if you want a full refresh then you should just get new stuff there as well. But I probably wouldn't bother. You can easily run a 215 60 16. That's what size a Forester uses. I am running 225 60 17 on my 02 outback sport with no issues. But they are very close, so something a little less tall would be better.

Latest posts

Back