Best Maine Roads?

blehhh

There might be a similar thread, but anyway...

Beech Ridge Rd is a hidden gem. Google map it. It might not look like much, might not be very long, but it's hilly, it's windy, it's deserted... and it's newly paved. Just took it driving from Westbrook down to Saco and it sure beats taking I-95. So nice.

SoMeWRX

Rt 209 is amazing from Bath out to Popham Beach. No cops, great views, twisty, fast, and it ends at a beach and a couple of nice little restaurants.

scubiecraig

I've been wanting to start a thread like this for DIRT roads in Maine. I so want to go out and mess around without hassle, but just don't know where to look!

blehhh

I've been wanting to start a thread like this for DIRT roads in Maine. I so want to go out and mess around without hassle, but just don't know where to look!
The Golden Road. Gotta hit it just right though. It's usually full of pot holes, logging trucks and slow moose-gazing tourists. Hit it off season though on a Sunday when the logging trucks aren't running and you're.. well... golden.

scubiecraig

The Golden Road. Gotta hit it just right though. It's usually full of pot holes, logging trucks and slow moose-gazing tourists. Hit it off season though on a Sunday when the logging trucks aren't running and you're.. well... golden.
And what city/town would this be in, fine Sir?!

blehhh

And what city/town would this be in, fine Sir?!
It runs from the Millinocket Mill to Seboomook Lake. Paper company literally 'owns' the road, so there technically isn't even a speed limit on it. My family has a camp up there, so I've been driving the Golden Road my whole life. Scooby Doo hasn't been up there just yet but some day.

scubiecraig

It's amazing how large Maine really is. I just Googled it, and it would take me just under 5 hours..... just to get there! Damn!

blehhh

It's amazing how large Maine really is. I just Googled it, and it would take me just under 5 hours..... just to get there! Damn!
Well the next time your friends want to go hike Katahdin and be one with nature and that crap, offer to drive, drop em off at the base, and go be one with machine for a day. boom.

cwiggin

Sodom rd on Norway to waterford is a good windy rd, and Greenwood rd from nirth Norway to Greenwood toward west Paris is a good ride too

jojo69

It runs from the Millinocket Mill to Seboomook Lake. Paper company literally 'owns' the road, so there technically isn't even a speed limit on it. My family has a camp up there, so I've been driving the Golden Road my whole life. Scooby Doo hasn't been up there just yet but some day.
you're the 1st person who actually know where Millinocket is! lol! A true Mainer!

default_wink.png
talk about the middle of nowhere Maine! Haven't been up there since I bought the hatch, but gonna have to go visit family at some point! Will def try that road!

How about places to go mess in snow? Yeah yeah I hear everybody say "you're in ME, you can go anywhere!". But an actual place/location/area would be more helpful especially since all mainely members are scattered throughout ME! just saying, share you're good spots with the rest...

Last edited by a moderator:
All roads in Maine suck.

Also you're not worth your salt as a Mainer if you don't know where the Millinocket is. I'm from Old Town, which isn't even remotely near the middle of nowhere but it's near Millinocket...

Go up to Eagle Lake and tell me where the middle of nowhere is.

Matt

Been there.... Camp on chamberlain lake at nugents campground often. There's a pair of amazing old locomotives in the middle of the two lakes back when they sent logs down the rivers. Pretty cool to walk the tram line and come around the corner and see those things. Love it up there.

05RSKID

I would have to say if your in the Bangor area the stud mill rd is the best dirt road to hit up, which I think has already be mentioned but it worth mentioning again. Good For dirt driving and great for snow driving. I go out there a few times a month cant wait for the snow

blehhh

Been there.... Camp on chamberlain lake at nugents campground often. There's a pair of amazing old locomotives in the middle of the two lakes back when they sent logs down the rivers. Pretty cool to walk the tram line and come around the corner and see those things. Love it up there.
I think the farthest 'out there' I have been is Chesuncook Village, while on a snowmobile trip. These people were raising bison. Also saw numerous abandoned mill and rail equipment, even a few deuce and a halfs. Pretty damn surreal up there in the north west. Really miss that calm, eeriness that hangs over the whole area year round.

If I were a billionaire, I think I would just buy that island out in the middle of Chesuncook and make it into my own little colony. Build a draw bridge, put in some roads, both paved and dirt, 2 rally cars, 6 snowmobiles, an airstrip, green house, solar panels, etc. Just dump hundreds of millions of dollars into it and try to get as many people as possible to come visit lol. Just let you mind run away with that for a bit...

blehhh

I find the best roads is no road and wide open full of dirt and mud
Beech Ridge Speed Way has some very large, very flat, very empty, sandy /silty parking lots... with some large donut marks carved into them... visible from space. I wonder how they, and local police, feel about people hooning around in the dirt, if the lot is abandoned and not public property?

Latest posts

Back