Best place to have a tire studded, mounted & balanced?

blehhh

Anyone know the best place to walk in and have a single tire studded, mounted & balanced?

There seems to be an awful lot of crappy tire places out there...

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
do you already have the tire? used tires can't be studded...or more accurately a good tire place will (rightly) refuse to stud a used one.

Vecken

Buy the studs yourself and put them in by hand. Takes utterly forever and a sore wrist but I've done it before. Working for a tire place we had a policy that beyond a thousand miles or so on the tire we cant install studs because of the equipment and the fact its an utter arse to do so. better if they are right off the shelf.

Jamey

If you have driven on it I wouldn't recommend studding rocks get in the holes i am the studding guy at Sullivan

blehhh

Was asking about a new tire, since that's what I was supposed to be buying today, but the guy from craigslist totally tried to pull a fast one and brought me one of the used ones instead of spare new one he had that I was asking about, so I'm back to the drawing board for a little bit.

Might be shelling out full price for a new one through my family mechanic up north, in which case, I'll order it studded and have him mount and balance it.

If I happen to get my hands on something down here though, I'll have Mike do it.

Thanks guys. False alarm I guess.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Main thing is to get the 4th tire same diameter as the other 3 used ones. Depending on mileage, might be worth it to get new tire shaved b 4 u try to stud it. Just a few percentage points variance means more wear On yer diffs. Not worth a few bux difference on tire pricing.

blehhh

Main thing is to get the 4th tire same diameter as the other 3 used ones. Depending on mileage, might be worth it to get new tire shaved b 4 u try to stud it. Just a few percentage points variance means more wear On yer diffs. Not worth a few bux difference on tire pricing.
My current snow tires have less than 5k miles on them. I don't know the exact tread depth, but it's still very meaty. I'm definitely going to have to go new here.

blehhh

Update: Buying a new studded Hankook ipike, same tread pattern. With all of the abuse from drifting, and daily cornering anyway, I'll take my chances with extra wear on the open front diff; even if it were a massive 1/4" tire height difference, the rotations would be ~99:100.

blehhh

Subaru states 3/32nd for tread depth differences iirc.
Thanks for the info. 3/32" x 2  = 0.2" total tire height difference. I'll take a peek when I get the new tire, but I'm not too worried.

5k mileage is not "worn enough" to present a problem here. New tire should be fine to go with the others.
Thanks for the reassurance here. This is proving to be an expensive little mistake, but it could have been a lot worse.

brycetron

I have been making the drive to town fair tire in augusta.  They are pretty good with wheels, as far as taking their time and not damaging them.  The problem with them is, unless you buy tires from them, they wont mount them.  I order all mine through tire rack and tried to get them mounted there.  They denied me.

In those cases I hit a local dealer.  They are typically on par at $12 o so each wheel/tire and do a good job.

skipow

the town fair tire in auburn doesn't have any problems mounting my tires....i've brought them all sorts of tires to mount and its never been an issue

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Tire Rack has a list of "Approved Installers" who have no bullsheet policies like that Town Fair Tire place. If the Tire Rack list saves you just one instance of running into that 'we won't work on stuff we didn't sell' silliness, it's well worth the effort.

The "Approved Installers" that tire rack lists don't always know they are listed. Found that out as I was trying to get my tpms sensors programmed.

brycetron

For sure about tire racks installer list. I didnt think of that at the time. It caught me off guard. That was the first time I ever ran into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back