Best winter tires for Maine???

Car Whore

What would you say are the best winter tires for a WRX for a Maine winter? I've been looking at the Blizzak WS-50,which is great in snow and ice but lacking in the dry.I don't want something that handles horribly when it isn't bad out,but I need way better traction and feel than the RE92s.

Lawdawg

I just bought Dunlop Winter Sport M3s for the STi--I have heard good things and Patriot has tire rack account. I paid $150 per, but 16's should be cheaper

soposube

The Artic Alpines handle much better than a traditional snow tire, but they are pricey. My friend had them on his EVO and he said they were great. I also drove them on my SVT Focus and they worked great in the snow and didn't have the major spongy winter tire feel.

I also used to have the Yokohama Gaudex and they were great in the snow, but were a little spongy on the dry pavement.

If you check out this months Consumer Reports they have a reveiw of snow tires. There #2 pick was the Viking snow tires. Check out triesavings.com. They about $65/ tire, for 205/55/16.

C

chris

I got Graspics for the Baja last year at $89ea, then went out and won the Pooh Corner Farm Ice-x ;D

Also hear good stuff about Dunlop's M3

I had Good Year Ultra Grip Ice on my WRX. A wicked nice digger, directional similar to M3s but about 25 bucks cheaper, but noisy on dry parking lot turns.

Also had Alpins on my Saturn a couple years ago, very smooth tire, didn't get to try it in the snow very much because i was too busy bustin everyone's chops in my WRX. Many a redneck tailgating full size trucks ( bastards) got taught their lessons each and every snow storm. I freakin hate tailgators!

stainless

I have Fulda Kristals....

They work better than allyear tires in snow and better than them on dry tarmac as well.

think they were like 60$ got em localy....

I would sugest if you want somthing REaly good in the snow do one width narower mabey ?

any one back this up that it is safe?

I know it has better bite in the snow....... just dont know if it will stay on your rims....

Used to do it on my FWD loyals and they would go places that some trucks could not in the winter.....

Winter is when you will curse yourself for geting that 1" drop in your ride....

mikebike357

Here's a question -

should I get snowtires for the WRX or just use the stock RE92's? The Forester will have snow shoes on it in case of a bad day but will the wrx be able to get by with all seasons?

Car Whore

I think you can definitely get by with RE92s,but I just don't like the feeling of being able to lose grip so easily in an AWD rally-bred vehicle.. ;D

I don't have a problem in deep or packed snow,but more during slick or wet conditions.I slow down,obviously,but the RE92s just aren't very confidence inspiring.

Evan

I have Fulda Kristals....

They work better than allyear tires in snow and better than them on dry tarmac as well.

think they were like 60$ got em localy....

I would sugest if you want somthing REaly good in the snow do one width narower mabey ?

any one back this up that it is safe?

I know it has better bite in the snow....... just dont know if it will stay on your rims....

Used to do it on my FWD loyals and they would go places that some trucks could not in the winter.....

Winter is when you will curse yourself for geting that 1" drop in your ride....
Think of vw's, they stretch tire like there's no tomorrow and the still drive hard on them.

i had 155 in the rear and 175's in the front of my 89 hatch (not the 92), despite being basically on doughnuts it did well in the snow.

Evil Jeff

Nokian Hakka's? I've heard nothing but rave reviews aboot them. Then again, I never run snows, just all-seasons. :
default_tongue.png

mikebike357

Nokian Hakka's? I've heard nothing but rave reviews aboot them. Then again, I never run snows, just all-seasons. :
default_tongue.png
Hehehe! I put Hakka Q's on my Forester in the winter... it's like a snow cat.

soposube

Ok, Iv'e been doing some searching because I also want some winter tires.

There are 2 winter tires at mavistire.com that are both $54 a peice.

One of them is the Viking Snow Tech that Consumer Reports rated highly. The other is Semprit Sport Grip Snows also I good tire for the $.

I have the recent copy of CS that you can check out on Sunday.

stainless

just got the new tyre newletter for tire rack...

THEY SUGGEST minnus sizing.....ie summer 205 55 r16 -> 195 55 r16 or 195 65 r 15 if you realy have lots of snow and or it will fit...might not clear your breaks.....

I want some 175 65r15 STUDDED-ICE RACING HERE I COME!!!

stainless

check out the blizzak revos (bridgestone)-wish i had seen these last year....shit...

they are studless but have "Bite particles" less noise that studds and more stable at highspeeds...

about 75-80$ per tyre...

Latest posts

Back