Best winter tires for Maine???

Rightseat

Yoko Guardex are teh bommb

also know as IG 10, formerlly known as F720

key word is "studless"

these are street snows that hardcore rally ppl in Canada run when they have to do battle with monster snowbanks

I have 2 sets, run em with tubes and they are even more tuff and thrive on abuse

Dave G

http://www.lastditchracing.net

I have also used Michie Arctic Alpins, decent all-round tires (true "all-season and decent in the dirt), but nowhere as good in snow or ice as the Yoko Guardex.

Car Whore

check out the blizzak revos (bridgestone)-wish i had seen these last year....shit...

they are studless but have "Bite particles" less noise that studds and more stable at highspeeds...

about 75-80$ per tyre...
Where can you get the Revos for $75-80 ea? Tire Rack wants $104,which isn't terrible but I'd like to pay less..I think these are what I'm getting.

stainless

price depends on size. so i am guessing that it just costs more for your size...sorry. go for a thiner size=cheaper + better ice/snowtraction.

I've had the Graspic(nice), Michelin Ice-X, Continental Ice Grip, Hakka CQ.

Of all, I have to say I like the Micheline Ice-X best. We raced on them last year at Perce Neige. Awesome grip.

Ciao! John

soposube

I just ordered the Viking Snow Techs from Mavistire.com, $267.00 shipped. I'll post a report later in December.

boosted

I jusr ordered the Semperit Sport Grip Snows from Mavistire.com as well, so I can give a report/comparison for these tires about mid december.

--Aaron

soposube

I was very close to getting the semprits, but I couldn't find any reviews of the tire.

SO I went with the vikings soley based on the consumer reports review.

boosted

Yeah, I just got them in today, so I'll get them mounted later this week and post a report once we get some good snow!!

soposube

I got the Snow Techs on the car on Monday. Sicne I haven't been in the snow yet, I'll just give the dry side of the report.

I'm very impressed with how they handle on the dry.

None of the typical highway wondering.

No spongy feeling at turn in.

Not to much extra tire noise.

They feel like a new set of RE92s with a little less outer limit grip. Now I know that most everybody agrees that the re92s suck, But for a $60 SNOW tire to feel anything like a much more expensive all-weather tire is impressive.

gearsoup

I picked up a set of semperits from last ditch racing. Awsome tire, by the looks of it. More road noise then I expected, but not unbearable. Can't wait till the snow flies to really try rhese things out. ;D

Car Whore

Well,I still haven't got any snow tires,but the RE-92s have been pretty fun today!!!! ;D

I pulled off a perfect drift at about 25mph,then got cocky and proceeded to spin out turning into my driveway.... :
default_smile.png
Learning my limits with no one around is a good thing.

soposube

Well after an hour of blasting around sopo and Cape. I can say that the $270 I spent on those snow tech was totally worth it. ;D

I couldn't believe that acceleration on snow could be so ridiculously fast. In second gear just after the turbo kicks and all the wheels start spinning, I swear my car felt faster on a snowy road than it does on a dry one.
default_smile.png

gearsoup

snow tires are fun! Spent 15 minutes doing cookies in the empty parking lot at work. ;D

And didn't even come close to hitting the company truck....

S

silver bqqst.

I had a hairy drive to work this morning... summer tires on awd= teh suck.

Skated in slow,andnow I have my snows on, service dept squeezed me in. ;D

mikebike357

The Hakka Q's did very well yesterday. Traffic was moving so slowly around lunch time that I didn't get to 3rd gear much but on the way home around 4:30, ahhahaaa! Weeeeee! Most people had gone home already so 4th gear 40mph... No probs with traction. I felt badly passing cops who were driving with the masses in the right lane in their RWD Crown Vic's.

Vinnie, I cut down your street on the way home and it didn't look like the Tribeca had been out in the snow??? I'm interested to hear how it does. I'm still not going to buy one though!
default_smile.png

boosted

Finally got some good "snowy road time" with the semperit snow techs, and I love them!! For a cheap snow tire, they perform very well and don't have too much road noise....Acceleration is almost as good on a snow-covered road compared to a dry road!!!! At least it felt that way, because every car around me was going so slow. 4th gear at 40mph worked out good for a safe cruising speed, and I am glad I didn't spend the extra money to get more of a name-brand tire for my needs.

--my $.02 ;D

S

silver bqqst.

salesperson aside*

The tribeca is really awesome in the snow.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather wip the sti around on the white stuff. But for a pig the b-9 is really great in the snow.

mikebike357

I'm gonna have to get a set of snow shoes for the wrx. The Mrs. went out today on an errand and said that it didn't stop for shit in the snow. You'd think that the stocker RE92's with 14k miles would be ok, but she said she was slipping, sliding, etc. Usually when I suggest buying car parts/mods, she cringes... but I didn't get that look when I said "why don't we get snow shoes for your ride?!"

Today's snow seemed a little more slick than the previous snows. Even with my Nokian Hakka Q's, I slid a little easier than normal. Of course all of mine were self induced.
default_biggrin.png
I think I damn near gave my co worker a heart attack doing cookies in the parking lot and power sliding corners around the aisles while looking for a parking spot close to the building.

Latest posts

Back