better spot lights

i-wagon

The Hella 500s aren't cutting it any more. I'm sure it would help if I did a total rewire with heavier gauge from start to finish, but at that point I might as well just go all new. Looking for high output beyond the high beams, durable, etc. looking at the Hella rallye 4000 xenon but 125 a lamp seems a bit much since I'd end up doing all the wiring too. Any suggestions?

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
I've been considering pulling the trigger on a set of PIAA 570 LEDs, but they're $350, and I have seen almost no reviews or demos of them on anything other than a jeep.  I don't want to buy $350 lights that I have never seen in person before, or can't see good demos of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flipswitch

I've heard good things about the Lightforce Striker 170s but haven't tried them.  My one concern with the LED bars is that they seem to be heavy on foreground lighting & often lack throw.  Have you considered retrofitting your high beam spot with a dedicated HID projector?

skipow

go with a pencil beam hella light if you're looking for distance. its what a lot of rally cars use, that mixed with some driving beams.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Hella FF1000 or FF700s are hella bright, and not expensive. trouble with HID driving lights is that they are super expensive and prone to damage if you stuff the car, and are a real target for slimy scumbag weasel thieves.

i-wagon

Hella FF1000 or FF700s are hella bright, and not expensive. trouble with HID driving lights is that they are super expensive and prone to damage if you stuff the car, and are a real target for slimy scumbag weasel thieves.
I was waiting for you to speak up. If I did anything hid it'd be plug and play and it would suck. I honestly hate LED driving lights, there's an excursion on my plow route with them, blinds me and doesn't light the road. I'll get on the Hella site tonight and look at the ff1000, already pondered the ff700

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
check out rallylights.com for a great selection of options from some real rally guys who know their shit and don't charge outrageous prices. good wiring diagrams too. they also have custom wiring harnesses to deal with weird switched-ground cars (lke Subarus), multiple light setups, heavey-duty relays, upgraded bulbs etc.

prefer the old-skool Hella mounts on the FF700s over the failure-prone plastic mounts on FF1000s.

i-wagon

Thank you, I'll look them up. I like the looks of the 700 over the 1000 door the same reason, plus price difference

brycetron

Being an electrician and installing led lights. I would go with led. They are expensive but do their job very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Hellas are not expensive and do their job very well, too. LED light bars are just starting to make inroads to the rally world, still very much in the developmental stage.

In 5 years, yeah LED will be a big advance. But until they get their mounts, housings, lenses and wiring perfected for supplemental automotive use, the old skool Hellas are tough to beat.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
700s can't be beat for the money.  I decided against the PIAA LED ones, because I hadn't seen enough proof that they're what I'm looking for.  There are a few niche companies that have great LED light setups, but they're way pricey for what they are.  I plan to switch to LED in a few years when the prices have come down, and the technology has improved a bit (and can compete with Xenon HID light output quality).

Latest posts

Back