Brake Freeze?

ShagginWagon

So the leggy got a new trick over the weekend: When I fired it up and put it in gear, it refused to go anywhere. I applied the gas, and after a couple of seconds, something popped and I was good to go.

This happened a couple of times over the weekend, with the ebrake both on and off. The car is parked outside, so there was some snow drifting into the wheels.

I think the brake pads were freezing to the rotors, but I have no idea if this does any real damage. Does anyone have experience with this?

Rightseat

if you don't get clutch smoke breaking things free, you ain't hurtin nothin >
default_biggrin.png

I think it's brake pads freezing to rotors, as opposed to e-brake freezing up (though such a thing is NOT unheard of). same thing happened to my rex wag 2x this past weekend

wouldn't be susprized if it was tires freezing into slush under the car, either

Jimbo

Yeah - I had the "tires freezing to slush" thing happen to me this AM. Especially given the sleet that nicely glazed everything that fell yesterday, I wasn't surprised. I think your brakes are fine.

ShagginWagon

Tire freeze! I thought of that, but everything just seemed so...stuck. That might have been it.

I definitely got clutch stink popping it loose. Should I care? Or is it so rare that there is no point worrying about it? Should I have the neighborhood dogs warm up my tires before trying to move it?

Rightseat

rephrased answear: "If you ain't got clutch smoke poppin it loose, it were't really froze in!"

your clutch just got a bit older, that's all.

Lawdawg

Happens to me quite often after a snowfall and snow gets in and around the wheels and calipers. Your brake rotors/calipers tend to be a little warm... and snow that is stuck around wheels and calipers melts and then refreezes, sometimes between the pads and rotor. This morning it took me a bit.

My tactic. Pop clutch and push it right back in to break the ice--shock it--ice is brittle. Pop it and then right back in--as opposed to slower release. This morning i actually did this in first, and then reverse and all four let go with a fairly loud crack...

Tyler

Since snow, this has happened every single time I've driven. Never had it happen before!

Latest posts

Back