Brake Job Questions

DrakeHale33

I'm going to be replacing my front rotors and pads this weekend and am searching for a DIY to guide me through the process. I plan on using this DIY

NorthUrsalia.com: Changing Your Brakepads

but I have a couple of questions. Should I remove the cap from the fluid reservoir to relieve pressure when compressing piston or will they "roll on" like outlined here. Will I need to bleed the brakes either way? Is it possible to assemble the pads as outlined here? Is there a better DIY I should use? I want to do the job efficiently as its getting cold!

Also in my front driver side when turning right I am getting a high-pitched rotational squeak intermittently, however it is becoming more common now. I have read it may be the dust sheild rubbing, and it seems like it is too high pitched to be a wheel bearing as it is a squeak/squeal and not a contanst howl/roar. So any ideas of where I can look while its pulled apart would be great.

99RS

5spd

ABS brakes

Thanks guys!

Matt

Prob a sequel tab rubbing the rotor. I didnt click the link but I would disassemble the brake caliper and compress the piston. Cap on it off doesn't matter. Thoroughly clean where the brake pads sit and under the hardware. Lube everything, the slides, the back of the pad and where they ride. Its not a hard job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legacy22GT

the most common problem that I've found with subie brakes is that the guides that the caliper slides on seizes up, so either 1 or both sides of the caliper cannot move when the piston compresses.

if this is the case you'll get uneven wearing on the brake pad, or one pad will be worn, but the other won't be.

this can sometimes cause squeaking while driving, because the pads would be unevenly worn.

you shouldn't have to remove the cap to compress the pistons, but i don't think it matters one way or the other.

If you disconnect the caliper from the brake line, or if there has been a leak, you will need to bleed the brakes after fixing the effected piece.

also, if your brake pedal was "squishy" before, you might want to try bleeding them

I don't have the cap on the reservoir when bleeding them or changing the caliper.

make sure that after 2 or 3 times of bleeding a caliper that you check the fluid level and refill if necessary.

bleeding them is a 2 person job though.

also, there's this video on youtube that pretty much explains changing front subaru brakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9XAHHVeJE

you'll need your standard metric wrench and socket set for the bolts, plus an 8mm closed ended wrench for the bleeder screw.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back